1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Modern 24f Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Greetings.
    I'm currently 'gassin' for another bass. I've pretty much have gone back to 4-stings for the past 3-4 years, but now I'm feeling another 5'er and want something a bit different to try. The Sad Modern 24f is at the top of my list. I believe I would like either a Ash or Mahogany body with an Ebony board. Never tried Ebony and have read it's speaks it's own sonic language. I would like a sound that cuts and is quick especially with a 5 string. I've been surfing the posts and I'm unsure of which body would work for me. I'm generally a Brazilian Rosewood or Morado Rosewood fan. However, when I owned my Lakland 55-94 Deluxe I preferred the Maple board as it seemed more clear to my ears. So far with Sadowsky instruments, I prefer Rosewoods, the Maple is too bright for me. The Ebony sounds like it would be in between to a certain degree. ???

OK here is my question. I've looked on the Sad sight but didn't find the answer.

Is the Modern 24f over-all length longer/taller bass than the the Jazz models? Hard to tell by the pics.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Just a heads up that Roger has the 24 fret 4 string on the way if that would work better for you.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

No the 24 fret 5 is still a 34 scale just like all of the other Sadowsky basses. :)

4. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi MM
    I did read that in one of the posts I was searching.
    I'm hoping the OA lenght of all the Sads is the same though.
    I really don't want anything longer/taller. I'm thinking since all are 34" scale basses they might be.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    You are right Big String. i had a 24f ash with ebony board and it made me a fan of ebony. Clear, focused, quick, articulate. . . you name it. Although, understandably, not as quick and snappy as maple. The best of both worlds and then some. I equally enjoy maple or rosewwd, but if I have a bass custom made, it would most likely have ebony.

I also went through a Fodera Monarch with ebony board as well, and experienced the same, so there most be something with ebony.

BTW, a 24f has overall regular lenght.

And even though it is 24 frets, the upper horn is very long, making for a melt-in-your-body super comfortable bass.

6. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hiya Lefty! Actually I'm a lefty also but just learned to play the 'standard' instuments. I bat righty too.. messed up ...

I think I would like the Ebony actually especially since the 24f is supposedly very mid-mid flavored from what I've read. Now... Ash or Mahogany... hmmmm. I think Tom, Ken, or Munji have mentioned the Mahog is even more mid present.

I had a Mahogany SG standard guitar in the 70's but don't really remember it's sonics... anyway it's was a geetar...

7. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    BTW... I have a Berg IP310 I would do a trade-deal on for a Sad 24f Ebony board if anyone is interested.

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I agree, the bass has a strong mid presence that cuts through anything - but it can scoop really easy with a touch of EQ. I'm a mids junkie, so I always played mine with just a touch of bass boost at the bass and a touch of 800 Hz at the amp.

I would also agree that a mahogany nody would round it up nicely. So a mahogany and ebony combo could be the ultimate!

9. Hey guys. I continue to enjoy my ash/ebony Modern 24f 5. Roger posted a few times that he doesn't think the body wood makes a lot of difference in the tone, so that doesn't seem key with the Sadowsky's. My featherweight Modern sounds very full and fat, and I can hear that ebony 'ping' in the initial attack of the note. That ebony ping IMO takes the Modern tone to 'uber modern' territory... the slap sound is very similar to the Alembic Mark King slap tone.. extremely quick, clear and clean.

The pickup placement and soapbars make this particular Sadowsky model so mid present that I surely wouldn't worry about getting more mids... it is really mid punchy. I also agree that turning up the bass control can 'widen' the sound nicely, but the bass, to my ear, always has a very 'favoring the bridge pickup' quality to it, even with both pickups blended equally. I like this very much, since most basses with traditionally placed soapbars are a little too wide sounding for me.

Anyway, it's a very unique sounding instrument, and the ebony board option makes it even more unique sounding (unique can be either good or bad depending on your tone preference).

IMO as always.

K

PS For some reason, the neck on the Modern 24 seems slightly flatter and thinner to me than the other models (for example, my NYC RV5). It's subtle, and could be 'in my head', or maybe due to the 24 fret length or something, but the neck actually feels even more sleek and fast than the J style necks I've played.

10. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks Ken
    So do you agree the over-all length of the 24f is the same as all the other Sads? And.. IYO does the ash favor more or less mids than the mahoganey even though Roger says it's minumal? Thanks.

11. Yes... the length and feel of the bass is very similar to the J style instruments.

The only Mahogany bodied Sadowsky I've played is Tom Bowlus Modern. I did not have mine at the time to A/B, so I'm not sure what impact it would have. My memory of the tone of his bass is very similar to how I hear mine.

However, the general consensus among most is, all other things being equal (which they never are), Mahogany will be warmer, bigger, and fatter sounding than ash, which will be quicker, brighter and a little more forward.

Another interesting thing... I had an ebony board on my very heavy mahogany Fodera, and I heard very little of the classic ebony board ping in that bass.. sounded very similar to maple... quick and bright. I wonder if Roger's very lightweight bodies allow the ebony board to 'speak' a little more, similar to the way the very thick ebony boards on the Drozd basses seem to also sound very 'ebony'... that classic 'ping' in the initial attack of the note.

IMO, if you are looking for a mid ground between maple and rosewood, that describe the Morado boards to me.... harder and slightly brighter (on some basses anyway) than 'true' rosewood, but not quite as 'clanky' and quick as some hear maple.... and without that very unique ebony note attack.

12. Here's a 'quick and dirty' picture of my Vintage and Modern side by side. You can see that, even though the neck extends into the body more on the Modern (due to the additional frets), the overall size and look of the basses are very similar.

sadoskylength.

13. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Ken you are a Prince.
    I think I might slightly prefer the Ash, but talk about unique... Ebony and Mahogany sure would be nice too.. scratching head furiously.

I also like the no dot look too, only I would need them on the side of the board as a visual aid.

Thanks Man

14. As a final note, the Modern might make you reconsider the IP310. I don't particularly like the matchup of my Berg cabs (s stack) with J style instruments. The very pure, studio-monitor like tone of the Berg voicing just doesn't seem to work with the more gritty tone of J instruments. The Modern seems to match up VERY well with the Berg tone... crisp, super clean, wide, crystal clear highs and smooth, big low end... nice!

15. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    That is a very good point Ken.
    My reason to move on from the IP310 is not because I don't like the sound of it. For my uses I would have been better off with the IP112 for smaller gigs and reahearsals. For my usual gigging needs I really like the DB750/NV215. Then again the 24F might not sound as good through that rig... hmmm. I'm just not a ten's lover either. sniff. I'm not really a slapper either. The 24f is a whim kinda gass. I have lots of gear I want to try before I'm 'done' :D (which incidently might never happen)

16. Cool! They all sound good! The side dots are still included on the 'no dot' option boards, so no problem there.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    just played a ash/maple metro 24-5 @ bass specialities, and WOW, really impressed with it. awesome weight, and had that sadowsky "eat you alive" sound!

sorta throwing out random thoughts...

tonally, the ebony does seem a touch warmer in the higher highs, while also being that much more articulate in the upper mids. maple seems airier and more open in those higher highs. almost like the ebony is goosed in a certain upper mids and up to a point in the highs, whereas, maple is like having on a high pass filter from the highs on up. also, FYI, usually i'm NOT a fan of ebony. usually sounds brittle to me, but whatever roger does w/ the ebony has made me appreciate it more. heck, i'm getting a PJ-5 in ebony/ash!

my own fav wood is ash. fast, punchy and really responsive. mahogany is good too, but it is warmer, and not nearly as responsive. i.e. i've played a few JJ-5's in ebony / mahogany, as well as ebony / alder, and while they had a cool mix of vintagey, warm thickness, was also a little "slow" feeling to me.

fastest brightest would be maple/ash. fastest, yet not quite as bright would be ebony/ash.

but truth be told, the preamp w/ the VTC can make the bass sound whatever the heck it feels like. what they wont do however is fix that "responsiveness". again, probably just me. ;)

18. who are your sources? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

what shape is he making it in? P or J?

a P would by my dream come true.:D :D :bassist: :D :D

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Sources? Its all true. I'm ordering one early next week. It will look very similar to the current 24fret 5. Ive seen the proto bodies and neck. You can get vintage or standard style, jazz type pickups standard. Back to the thread

Hey big string. I'm also gassing for a 24fret 5. Im ordering a 24 fret 4 very soon but want a 2 octave neck with soapbars.

I owned an alder/ebony 5er a while back. It had the standard body and jazz pickups. Cool bass but the alder body wasnt my thing. Ive had two with soapbars, ash/maple and ash/morado. Both were older and had the EMG's. Didnt care for the EMG's. Ive tried some newer ones, NYC's and metros, with the new soapbars. Sound amazing. Not brittle, smooth, punchy. I've found ebony to be about the same in brightness to maple boards. I dont think you'll regret either decision. Good to hear from you

Rob

20. This pretty much matches what I hear with all of these combinations. It's pretty subtle on the Sadowsky line... the J's all sound very similar, as do the Moderns, but the above is a nice summary IMO.

My Sadowsky family is actually being 'built' on the above subtle tone differences:

NYC RV5... true rosewood board/alder/humcancelling J's... still very bright, as all Sadowsky's are... but with some mid warmth and classic grind

NYC 24F Modern 5.... Ash/Ebony/Soapbars... VERY modern... punchy, crips, clear.. with that nice Ebony ping...

NYC MS5 (on the way)..... ash/birdseye maple board/single coils.... should be bright, grindy, aggressive, old school funk... similar to the Celinder vibe that I love so much, but in a smaller, lighter, 34" scale instrument.

:hyper: :bassist: :)