1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Modern 5 in the Studio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wasabi1264, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I'm in New York this weekend tracking our band's second CD. Roger Sadowsky graciously loaned me two of his basses for the session.

I brought my StingRay 5 and my F Bass, and I'm playing through the DI of my Ashdown ABM 500.

Roger loaned me a jazz 5 21 fret (with the noise cancelling pickups)and a modern 5.

In all honestly, the jazz isn't doing it for me, but I will say that the modern 24 is just the bomb. I've used it already on 3 of the four tracks, and it's just killing. It punches like you wouldn't believe, has a great, clear, ballsy tone, but isn't too "metallic" like the StingRay.

If you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them as I'm tracking. We're doing 10 songs over the weekend, so it's rough to get all the parts together, since we're literally making huge arrangement and production decisions on the fly.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The 24 fret 5 string is a monster , huge tone ! If it is an instock instrument I am sure you will be able to buy it.Sadowsky Rocks ! :bassist:

3. Sounds good! A modern 5 is definitely in my future.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    What kind of music are you recording? Do old-school bass tones not work well with it?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Did someone say Modern 5?

Sorry.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    and how is the slap tone on the modern 24's? is it wide and meaty like a jazz? or tighter and more , well... modern.

7. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I have to agree on this one The Modern is a Monster, in the mix, in my room or live..........

8. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    The slap sound is not open at all - not surprising due to the pickup location. It is really midrangey, kinda "smith like" but not as good IMO. I didn't really like the slap tone of that bass, and I found it awkward to slap due to the lack of a pickguard. OTOH, fingerstyle sound is very, very good - punchy and precise, lots of definition. Of all the basses I have had I think it had the best B string.

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Beautiful Tuxedo bass, Munji.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thankew ... now that's what I was shamelessly going for!

11. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Had a great time in the studio this weekend. We used the Sadowsky 24 fret 5 on 8 out of the 10 tunes. I had to retrack one after I returned it...bummer. Anyway, Roger is amazing, driving out on a Saturday to deliver the basses to the studio.

The main thing I can say is that the Modern 5 was perfect for the music we played. I didn't slap much on it (literally about six notes!), but played around with the slap in between tunes. I would agree that it's not a vintage sound...it is tight. I'm not a slap-meister, so can't really give a truly informed opinion about the slap stuff.

But the finger-style tone worked so amazingly in the studio. We tracked into my Ashdown and into an Avalon. I the tone controls off. The bass sat perfectly in the mix...a muscular tone without grind. But not "pillowy" either...just punchy and perfect for rock and pop music.

I will post tunes when the CD is done, which will be in mid-April. I'd like everyone to hear how present the bass is even after all the stuff is added.

Thanks again, Roger!

12. That's great! Looking forward to hearing the clips.

-Bernie

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

that's the love/hate relationship i have w/ my modern 5. awesome, fingerstyle punch, but the slap sound isnt what i'd like. BUT, if you dig the smith slap sound, this is your bass. dare i say, in a slightly cooler looking package. :smug:

14. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Old school tones do work with the music we're playing, but honestly, the modern 5 doesn't sound "modern" to me..I think of modern like a Fodera or a Modulus. This just sounds like a perfect accompaniment bass.

The music we do is kind of modern Billy Joel/Elton John with all sorts of other influences...Steely Dan, Beatles, plus modern singer/songwriter stuff. Production nods to everything from Jellyfish and Polyphonic Spree to New Radicals and Tears for Fears.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Did you like it enough to buy one for yourself?

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Anyone have an idea of how a Sadowsky Modern 5 would compare in tone to a MM Bongo 5 HH? On the scale of vintage to modern, I'm guessing it would be closer to vintage and the Bongo would be closer to modern, am I right?

MM

17. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Interesting to read these comments, I'm not alone it seems. I love my 24/5 for fingerstyle but the slap sound does'nt do it for me. I prefer my Fender Jazz for that.

18. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd probably agree with this. The Sadowsky is a bit more "vintage," if you will; but can get just as (if not more) "modern" than a Bongo HH. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Just my take on it.