1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky Modern M5-24 Rave Corner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Never played one.
    Got one coming; should land Wednesday...

Feel free to rave about yours and post pix and sound clips and whatnot.

SadM5.

Waksfly likes this.
  2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The middle two clips in this one are fingerstyle, and should work for me:

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    And Will Lee...who is none too shabby.
    I've seen shabby, and he's not it.

4. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Don't own but have played one. Killer basses!! Great modern tone! Love the color Chef! Were I to get one it would definitely be 59 burst!!

Hey you wouldn't be interested in selling your Kawai now that you have a new one on the way would you?? ;)

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    My Kawai is loooong gone. Long gone. Years ago. Neat bass, great quality, sonically not my bag.

This clips I posted sound anything but "modern," which is one of the deciding factors in my having made the purchase....

6. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    D'oh! duh.

Oh well.. Was worth a shot. LOL! Enjoy the new bass!! :bassist:

7. Those clips sound awesome! Hope you enjoy the bass.

8. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    I have 2 of them, one fretless, one fretted. Fantastic instruments. I've had the fretted 24/5 almost 10 years. It's a gigging workhorse and still impresses the heck outa me every night.

I got the fretless about 5 years ago and have built up to the point where I play it equally as much as the fretted. It records beautifully, is a very expressive instrument. Here's a link to the webpage of a recent album I did with the fretless - video clip on the bottom, audio clips top left of the page. I'm really happy with the bass sound on these tracks:

http://www.brucekaphan.com/pages/Bruce-Kaphan-Quartet.html

Hey Chef, is that a newer or older 24/5 you've got coming? I ask because the pickups look like the wider soapbars that I have on my basses. I know that Roger recently slimmed the width of those pickups down a bit. The ones in your pic look just like mine. At any rate, they're great sounding pickups.

Despite the "Modern" designation, I find it's easy to go old-school with these basses. It's amazing how much tonal range can be covered with just hand placement, a pickup blend control, bass/treble and a VTC.

That's a fantastic looking bass and I look forward to hearing your impressions after you've spent some time with it. Congratulations!

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It's older...not sure how old. I know two guys that have owned it, and the serial number is ~2500-ish IIRC...

thx for the clips, I'll listen to those!

10. jmeyers44

jmeyers44

Sep 20, 2008
    Despite the "Modern" designation, I find it's easy to go old-school with these basses. It's amazing how much tonal range can be covered with just hand placement, a pickup blend control, bass/treble and a VTC.

That's a fantastic looking bass and I look forward to hearing your impressions after you've spent some time with it. Congratulations![/QUOTE]

I totally agree with that statement. It's quite easy to get a great P bass sound from the modern. I recently have been getting a nice "fretless" tone out of mine by panning to the bridge and totally rolling off the treble, boosting bass 20% ish and having the VTC around 50%. But I bought the bass for the modern tone and it delivers. Very smooth bright with an aggressive low end that cuts the mix extremely well

11. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I didn't even realize that Will Lee plays an M5-24! Cool!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    well, of course Will has his own signature model...I dont know how often he plays an M5-24

13. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    congrats on that purchase. I know you were considering an M2500 g&l. as much as I love g&l's I think you made the right decision. my next bass will be an M5-24.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I was considering the G&L, I'm curious if the re-vamped electronics would make them more my thing. The midforward, raw, lo-fi feel of the L series just isn't my thing anymore, despite having been my thing for a long time there.
    But then I saw this, listened to some clips, and remembered the G&L tight string spacing and went for it.

fwiw, I still have my 1980 L1000, and 1981 L2000dFL....I've sold all my other G&L's...

15. These have a very tight/barky tone. Can be a bit bright & hi-fi sounding... I usually rolled off the VTC to offset that. Overall, I never bit the bullet though.

16. I don't know man, Will looks and sounds bored out of his mind on this one.

- the bass looks amazing -

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have two of them and they are my favorite model of all Sadowskys. That bark you hear in the first of the fingerstyle clips is what defines these basses for me. They're pretty versatile basses, but with both pickups set pretty far back, they definitely have a character that peeks through no matter what.

If you like a nice, barky, kinda growly, super jazz bass tone, you'll love it.

SadPairWeb.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I do!
    What woods are those?

19. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Muji - Those are beautiful! That white one is especially classy without the fret markers. Very nice.

20. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Jessica is just killer!!!!!