Sadowsky MV5 vs. Fender JB MIA 70's RI FSR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy V., Feb 26, 2010.

1. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    I scored a mint MV5 pretty cheap.
    It's a nice bass, but since it doesn't have the VTC I'm having a hard time getting that old school tone (tone pot dimmed).

Now, there's an used Fender JB MIA 70's RI FSR.
    It has matching headstock, it's mint, got case, ashtrays, etc...
    You know the story, only a few made in 2002 for export.

The store is asking 2.000,00 euros for it.
    Or I can trade my MV5 for it.

Dumb move?
    What do you think?

It's this bass: http://www.station-music.de/images/bass/instrumente/sad_mv5blk.jpg vs. this bass: http://www.station-music.de/images/bass/instrumente/fen_jbfsr70car.jpg

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's really going to depend on what you really need, re: a 5 string vs a 4 string.

I used to have one of those FSR RI Jazzes, and it was an awesome bass. The neck was slim, and the pickups were pretty powerful.

3. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    I really dig the MV5.

But the looks of those FSR JB's... :D

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
  5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    To me, you can talk about the virtues of a Sadowsky or a Fender all you want, but this boils down to one simple question...do you prefer a 5-string or a 4-string? Answer that question and you'll know which bass to choose.

BTW, this is a great problem to have IMO. :D

6. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Yep...thought about it...
    Seems to be the most logical thing to do...

But the GAS...oh the GAS...

I prefer 4 stringers just a tad over fivers.
    But it's just a tad...I can't make a decision based only on it... :bawl:

The fender is shown in this video:
    Amazing sound that is.

7. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    After owning many of both, my experience has been the B string on the Fender can't compare to the Sadowsky, so going back to another post, do you want a 5 or a 4? Also, I used to be more influenced by cosmetics, but for me anyway, I have become a 100% Sadowsky guy. Still have several Fenders because I am attached to them, but I don't really play them anymore. They just kick ass, are versatile and generally get any job done. The suggestion to add the VTC is an excellent one, I prefer a less bright sound and the VTC is a must have for me, all my Sadowsky's have it. Of course, this is my experience, yours may and probably does vary! Good luck with your decision.

8. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    4-string vs 5-string is a good question. Assuming 4 is the answer sell the MV5 now that you know Sadowsky's quality and put the money towards a new Will Lee Model in the color combination of your choice.

9. I owned the LPB version of the Fender and I gotta say I was disappointed with it. The pickups were weak compared to other similarly priced (and some cheaper) J's I've owned, those vintage type Fender bridges are awful, and the finish on mine chipped very easily. I would stick with the Sadowsky. That said, everyone else I've seen comment on those J's loves them so who knows?!

10. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Yeah.
    I think I'll add "buying a VTC" to my to do list for next week.

Guess you can have looks AND sound awesome.
    ;)

11. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
  12. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I am gonna be really blunt :bag:

Sadowsky all the way!!!!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021