Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky neck question(s)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric426, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    First of all, please pardon my ignorance, but I really don't know the answer to this or I wouldn't be asking. Does Sadowsky have different neck profiles available on their NYC basses? I ask this because I just received my first NYC bass, a used Standard 4, and it has a noticably fatter neck than my Metro RV-4. It still feels and sounds great, but it's different than what I expected. I'd assumed that the neck profile and dimensions would be the same, but for all I know the original owner might have ordered it with a thicker profile. It's not much, about .1" in width and thickness, but it feels different. It's not a big deal and I'm totally pleased with both basses, I'm just curious about the difference.

2. seebee

seebee

Dec 17, 2004
    Philadelphia,Pa
    Your Bass may have a 12 inch radius as opposed to 9 inch radius 12 is standard on a Sadowsky but you can get them with 9 also according to the website 4 string J Bass neck width at the nut is 1-1/2 inches but they offer 1-3/4 width vintage P Bass width.:bassist:

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I have found that the newer NYC basses with the thicker headstock are generally beefier than the older NYC's and the metros. The metro necks are quite similar to the feel of the older NYC's, including the thinner headstock IMO, of course

Rob

4. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting.... Any idea when the change might have occurred? I have a '96 NYC (headstock=9/16" thick), and the only thing about it that I would change about it is the neck - a bit slim for my taste. You think a new NYC would have a beefier neck? (sorry, no new NYCs available in my area to compare wth....)

5. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I don't know if all there necks (new) have graphite rods. I know some do, if not all there newer NYC basses yet Im not sure. But what I played with the rods seems like the neck just doesn't feel right. I don't know why. I like it better when they did not use them. I know having them eliminates dead spots. at least to what i understand. But I would think the tone changes. I own and played a number of sawdowsky's and Im still love the thinner head stock as you call it than the newer ones. Just my opinion. I know Sadowsky wants to make something better than what it was. But I still like the older models better. Maybe another reason is wood at least good wood isn't available as it once was. Im not sure, I never claimed to be an expert. . They used a pickup that was single coiled non stack and I loved the tone. A little nosier when favoring the back pickup, but the tone was real nice.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    From my understanding all newer (last few years) basses have gfraphite stiffening rods.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have to say I really love just how rock solid these NYC Sadowsky necks are today with the thicker headstocks and graphite reinforcments , their really producing even , full beautiful notes.:hyper: :bassist: But i would still buy an old school flat neck 24 fret 5 string before any of these more recent perks were added.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea. All NYC have reinforcement rods now. Metros don't. I dont know when he went to it for the NYC's. As far as I know, if you're headstock is thicker, you have them. But dont quote me on it. LOL

Rob

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Even if they are made to be exactly the same, every neck is slightly different or "can feel" slightly different.

I've had 3 Sadowskys, one Metro and 2 NYCs (all made in 2005). All of them vintage JJ with maple fingerboards. The Metro and the first NYC I got felt almost identical to the point that I think I wouldn't had been able to know which neck I was playing.
    My second NYC has a neck that felt better from the first time I took it out of the case. Not a big difference, but exactly the opposite of what you would expect when you get a new bass of the same brand and model of one that you've been playing for some time. Don't ask me where the difference is.

I should also add that all three necks were very easy to play and all felt great, probably others wouldn't feel the difference or would prefer the other two necks.