1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Neck Vintage vs Modern!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Mar 21, 2006.

1. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Hello everyone I have played and own both basses what are your thoughts in terms of playability??

Other than the 21 vs 24 frets, do you find any other significant difference?

I personally feel more comfortable with the 24 fret neck and the B string seem to have more punch.

What are your thoughts on this one??

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Simon, do you mean a 24 fret 5 neck vs. a 21 fret 5 neck? If you do, I dont think they are made to difference profile specs. Of course, no two necks ever feel exactly the same. It all comes down to trying them all out and finding the one for you. I feel the older necks with the thinner headstock have a flatter feel to them. The newer NYC's with the rods in them tend to feel chunkier, IMO. Just what I've experienced

Rob

3. simongpaez

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas

Sorry, Yes I mean the Modern 24 Fret 5 VS the Vintage 21 fret 5 Neck. To me they seem kind of different

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The Sadowsky necks developed over time , it really depends at what years you were reffering to. Say before 1996 the 24 fret 5 string neck was a much diffrent design with its flat wider profile and 2 truss rods if I am not mistaken these necks were quite destinctive then the neck specs offered on the 21 fret 5 strings.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

heck, my new PJ-5 has a much slimmer profile than my 3 yrs old V-5. go figure...

6. simongpaez

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I asked Kevin and this is his response

"It's the same neck profile on all of our 5-strings and the extra frets are an extension of the fingerboard (the neck is not "longer")".

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I guess the extra frets and the placment of the neck and its pocket being closer to the outside of the body give the illusion of a longer neck.