1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky...Never wanted one till I saw this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Dec 8, 2018.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I love this tone! This cat, Garrett Sayers, is a dope player too btw. Does anyone know what bass this is? Any broad feedback that you can offer on Sadowsky Basses? Thank you!

636C5009-6EC9-47BC-BC73-06CEE4C5F1CA.

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Sadowsky PJ 5-string. Could be a Metro or a NYC - can't really see the headstock well enough.

I had one some years back. Nice instrument, I just had an issue with the 19mm spacing (which I now have gotten over).

faulknersj likes this.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    RV5-PJ; which means alder/rw...or pao ferro if it's metro.
    I had three looking for a PJ5 I could bond with.
    I had one of the RV, and two of the MV5; ash, maple...
    I came to the conclusion that I do not like an active PJ; and ended up with a passive ash/pao perro Valenti with Nordstand pickups in in that I really like a lot better than any active PJ. Active and Precision is a bad pairing for me.

4. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    It's a Metro, you can tell by the bridge.

faulknersj likes this.
  5. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thank you for the insight!

Ronen likes this.
  6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well... I could be a NYC too...... What makes you think it's a Metro?

7. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    The corners on the bridge plate on Metros are sharp. On a NYC bridge they're rounded. A small visual difference but very obvious, if you know where to look.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  8. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I've tried a few Sadowsky basses and they are beautifully built but just not for me. I'm really not a J-bass guy to begin with it's no surprise. As mentioned above the 19mm string spacing on the 5's doesn't work for me at all. The neck felt like you could land a B52 on it. The 4's were fine in that regard. If you like the sound and it fits with your style of music I strongly suggest to try one out. They really are the top of the food chain for Fender style basses.

9. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Slight topic swerve. But at the NYC 5 price point it's worth checking out the NYBW Reference series. Ergonomics are very player friendly and there are lots of build options.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  10. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I own both a Metro and a NYC. I can tell you the bridges are simply exactly the same

11. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    I assume your NYC is a Satin series which has the same hardware (bridge & tuners) as on the Metro Line (maybe same electronics too). Otherwise, can you put up a closeup photos of both bridges?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  12. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That may have previously been the case (I don't know) but if you visit the Sadowsky site you'll find that both the NYCs and the Metros have bridges with sharp corners (I'm assuming you are talking about the corners when you say "edges").

13. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    I said corners, not edges, read again.

Here are two photos of current basses for sale on the Sadowsky site. One is Satine Verdine White sig' and the other is a "regular" NYC bass. Enlarge them and take a close look at the bridges. Can you see it now?

https://www.sadowsky.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/8362_1.jpg

https://www.sadowsky.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/8290_1.jpg

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  14. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    That huge neck width in the upper frets is definitely a concern for me...I like decently tightly spaced strings under my right hand and don't want to have to cover more territory than necessary..

15. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Sorry, I don't know why I thought I read "edges". :facepalm:

Ronen likes this.
  16. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Okay, yes, I see what you're talking about. Does that mean the Metro bridges are not Hipshot?

17. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    AFAIK they're not Hipshot made in the US. I think they're Lic made in Asia (Japan prob) like the tuners. Don't get me wrong, it is still very high quality hardware, just a more cost effective alternative. I don't think it's a secret, either. I remember Roger wrote about it in the past.

faulknersj and bass12 like this.
  18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I traded for a Metro a while back. Didn't believe the hype. Within a few weeks it was sold and an NYC order was placed. No regrets. It is the perfect bass for me and well worth the price of admission. The Metro was a fine instrument as well, no complaints at all.

faulknersj likes this.
  19. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    No it's not a satin:

I would have posted pictures of both basses, but unfortunately I swapped the hardware on the Metro last year.

20. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Beautiful NYC, of course with a nyc bridge.
    Now, if your Metro is an early one it may have had the nyc bridge as this is what they used at the beginning. It has soon changed to the current Lic bridges. I had a 2007 Metro MV4 which already had the later/current bridge.
    Take a look at the links I posted earlier and see what I mean.

baxter_x likes this.