Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sadowsky nickel brights

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderx55, Jul 7, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Ok i got the brights 45-105, which is much lighter compared to what i'm used to (50-110), but after 2 3 hour rehearsals and some woodshedding they sound dead already. is this just how it is and why they have that buy 4 get 1 free deal? i'm thinking maybe of just going back to my GHS boomers.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That has not been my experience with the sadowsky brite nickels.

But...you are comparing a nickel string to a stainless string so you're behind right out of the gate. Thats not going to get any better with use.

Apples to apples...Sadowsky Stainless should kick the dookie out of boomers.

IMHO

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeah, i think i'm getting used to them, the upper register is really silky i like it. not as much boom as with stainless, but i like them

4. GHS Boomers are nickel, not stainless steel.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    holy crap :bag: i've been playing them for 3 years and i just never...idk. wow. i just assumed they were stainless, they ate up my hands.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not sure where nickel plated steel....nickel steel alloy... stainless steel diverge but... I accept that you are correct and that I was misinformed. Thanks for making me...even smarter :D

Seems kind of odd that one nickel would cause a reaction and another wouldn't....something else to cogitate upon....

7. Most of the nickel strings that are available are, nickel plated steel. There are some pure nickel strings available but, I have not seen too many.

I always thought the boomers were stainless, until the GHS rep informed me that they weren't.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmm...I always thought the nickel string s where some kind of alloy which in my brain is different from a plated metal....

I may need to get me some edumacation on the whole string making game....of which I am admittedly and woefully ignorant

9. I'm having great success with the Sad Nickels and find them to last a good long time. I like nickel better than SS.

10. PartlyDave

PartlyDave

Dec 28, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I really like the nickel. Not as bright as ss, great sound, great tension. They are not as bright as the ss and Ive been getting about 6 weeks (about 32 hrs.) playing out of them before they start to bug me. They dull out fairly quickly, but I like that. I like a little break-in. If you want continued zing for a longer period of time, I'd suggest trying the ss.

11. Apologies if there has been a thread dedicated to this already, but I used the search function and ended up here.

Could someone please educate me on the differences IN GENERAL between the different string materials? I usually play Ernie Ball Power Slinky's, sometimes D'addario when those aren't available, although I can't remember the material off the top of my head.

I like a metallic sounding tone. I'm looking for grit, growl, sneer if you will; not thump, not thunderous. I like my low-mids. Ideal sounds = Thrice, Comeback Kid, Anti-Flag, Tony Vacca & World Rhythm even (saw them live once).

I know strings material isn't the only determining factor in getting the sound I want, but every little bit counts right?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

12. Too bad the Strings Forum FAQ didn't come up in my search. :rolleyes:

Nevermind.