1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Sadowsky NYC 5/24: 25th Anniversary Edition!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Joebone, May 24, 2017.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Price:
    $3800.00
    Strings:
    This is a rare and exceptional example of Roger Sadowsky’s craftsmanship and design chops - a Twenty-Fifth Anniversary 5/24 Modern.

Mahogany body, Koa top, and an exceptional slab of deep black ebony fretboard, with gorgeous fret markers that look like mother-of-pearl. It’s my understanding that these same specs are common to all 25 of the Anniversary basses, albeit across the entire Sadowsky model line as it then existed.

Of course, this axe has the killer B-string and Low-B to High-G uniformity that are the hallmarks of the 5/24 Modern. Due to the choice of woods, it also features a fast, clean attack that particularly works well with chords, a characterful mid-range growl, and insane punch with proper use of the Sadowsky preamp. It also is beautifully built. I have the action set pretty low, but my tech advises that it could be even lower still, in which case this bass would virtually play itself…in fact, my tech thinks I am nuts to sell it…and I probably am, but over the last 18 months I’ve determined that the body shape of Lakland 55-94 basses is far more comfortable for me, so this has not been my #1 for awhile, and after a long time on the fence, I’ve decided that I can’t be a collector, and it is time to let this excellent axe go.

I am the third owner (Tom Bowlus was the first), and the condition is excellent but for the usual swirling you would expect from an axe that’s been played, and three small spots, each about the size of a pin-head and along the edges of the upper and lower bouts, where the finish has been penetrated. These are not visible from the front or back, but I've tried to present them cleanly in the photographs. Comes in the original Sadowsky flat-side soft case, and features Roger’s signature and 25th Anniversary blurb on back of the headstock. I also have to note that with the ebony/mahogany/koa construction, this axe might be the missing link between Sadowsky/Fender roots and Alembic's famous wood cocktails...

Asking $3800, shipped CONUS. No trade interest.

Onward!

Attached Files:

Big_Nate, Fred312b, ceerod and 3 others like this.
  2. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oh man, if only my money wasn't tied up in a custom Sadowsky build and DB purchase...

Bump for a gorgeous bass and best of luck with the sale!

3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Beautiful. First Sadowsky I've ever found attractive. Good luck.

4. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the comments! Have taken a closer look at the fingerboard dots, and think they may be abalone rather than mother of pearl - some of them have that greenish-blue wavy tint thing going on...