1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky NYC: More I Play More I Like

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcbrown, May 1, 2015.

1. jcbrown

jcbrown Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I purchased my first Sadowsky NYC about a month ago. Initially, I didn't understand the hype. But, after four weeks of daily playing, and a few gigs with it, it's turned into my favorite bass! I got the fever!

I think it took a little time to find the right tone and strings for me. Would up with GHS boomers, and turned the vintage tone knob all the way down. Bass and treble up 1/2 way. Pickups blended equally.

Anyway, I'm sold...but wasn't initially. Learned a lesson...that I think applies to all basses. Need to spend some solid time with them before writing them off.

My two cents...

2. Gnal

Gnal Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Congrats! It's always nice to be reassured that a piece of gear supports a need better then originally thought/hoped for.

I found the same thing with my MTD.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    We want pics and more pics!

Burwabit and Fuzzbass like this.
  4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    JC,

That is very encouraging. I ordered an NYC back in December and am in the waiting phase. Did you order yours custom or did you buy an off the shelf/used bass? If you ordered custom, was the 8 - 10 month wait time pretty accurate?

Looking forward to joining the club again.

Bones

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    NYC J & P here. Love both. And really like the lighter weight of the chambered bodies. Makes playing gigs
    easier on the shoulder.

6. jcbrown

Mar 15, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll get some pics up...I bought used (mint condition) so I can't speak to the factory timeframe...I've got the J...Bigg...how does the P compare to a Fender P? Tone v. Sadowsky Jazz?

7. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I jumped on the Sadowsky bandwagon in January of this year, and it cured my gas for vintage J basses, which is saying a lot. I haven't experienced the chambered bodies yet (mine are Metros), but luckily both of mine are very light on their own.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, Sadowsky's Jazz is absolutely great. I have a P/J, which I love, but the Jazz can't really be beat.

9. Welcome to the Sadowsky family!

This honestly left me scratching my head though...the VTC kills any high frequencies before the preamp gets signal, so I don't see the point in boosting treble if there's essentially nothing to boost...unless you occasionally open up the VTC for some songs. To each his/her own, but that part confused me, as a fellow Sadowsky player.

10. jcbrown

Mar 15, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    A few pics...

John D...I'm still learning...how are yours set? I'll try it....

Attached Files:

Burwabit likes this.
  11. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I've played basses that sounded "Better" in some way than my Sadowsky Modern in the practice room, but playing out, across a wide range of musics, the Sadowsky always delivers, which is not the case with some of the others. Wonder if it's that Fender lineage - sitting pretty in the mix.

12. toons

toons

Oct 7, 2007
    Calgary
    jcbrown said:
    Would up with GHS boomers, and turned the vintage tone knob all the way down. Bass and treble up 1/2 way. Pickups blended equally.

I too stumbled over this setting. I assumed that if vintage tone meant dark with no treble, the VTC was completely off, or the inverse of a vintage tone and allow the treble to fully pass.

Congratulations on the Sadowsky!

13. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I have had my NYC 5 for 7 years now. I still think it is one of the best basses I have ever played. Congrats on the new bass!

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV

The curves of the high eq and the VTC are different. Boosting the highs and rolling off on the VTC is the Sadowsky pre magic secret. Play with it and see. You can get a wonderfully aggressive and clear tone with no fret clack.

I learned this trick from Angelcrusher--a HT to him. Here's Roger's comment on it:

Club Sadowsky (Part 37) | Page 100 | TalkBass.com

jcbrown, Jim Carr and Burwabit like this.
  15. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    JC Congrats on joining the Sadowsky club. I love my NYC P/J that I've owned since I custom ordered it in 2009. Just under 7 1/2 lbs, it's a treat to play. I usually have the VTC around 3/4 of the way up but the P pickup might be a bit less bright than two jazz pickups. I recently picked up a Metro MV4 Jazz and lucked out with one that's just around 8 1/2 lbs.

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yep. Thats how it works.

17. Wow...consider me schooled. Definitely gonna try this out later, or rather I'm gonna A/B it to not having treble boosted; I've used this setting many times but never gave it much thought, thinking the treble boost wasn't doing anything significant to the tone. I should have known better, having used essentially the same trick before on vintage EQs in recording studios (Pultec 2 band EQ's come to mind). Thanks for putting things in perspective :)

knowing.

18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yeah, it seems counterintuitive at first--but the key thing is that the treble boost and the VTC roll-off are different tone-shapers, not just + and - versions of the same thing.

Again, a HT to Angelcrusher for the first mention of this I saw.

19. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    I got my Sad NYC PJ/5 (Jazz body) Oly White/Amazon RW last month after a 10 month wait. I'll do a review/NBD thing soon. I went with the NYC because I wanted the 1 3/4" nut. The thing sounds amazingly rich and full, even acoustically it rings. My Lakland 35" scale has a harmonically truer B string, but the Sad B works great nonetheless. I totally agree with the tone settings described earlier.

My advice to anyone buying is to go with the PortaBag, I started with the HSC and and switched it out for the PortaBag, which is sturdy and well-designed. Customer service is Sadowsky's hallmark, and Dan Vitucci, Kevin's replacement, bent over backwards to make sure I was happy, and I'm very picky!

I wish you many hours of pleasure with it!

20. Ok...I KINDA have to go back to my original statement...yes, it does make a BIG difference in boosting treble if the VTC is rolled off to as much as around 70% closed, but when it's fully closed like the OP described, I here no appreciable difference in boosting treble (besides the noise floor in the highs being raised).

For full transparency: This is my NYC Reverse PJ5 (D'addario ProSteels (fairly new), pickups set 50/50, treble at 50%, bass varying between 20% - 50%) playing through a Genz Benz Streamliner (set as "flat" and clean as possible) into a Phil Jones Bass Compact 4 Cabinet: If there's a difference, I should be able to hear it with this rig. Just IME and IMO of course; not saying the OP isn't hearing what he heard. Thoughts?