1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky NYC vs Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zultimatez, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy
    SAd nyc are semi-hollow!???
    It's not a standard solid body bass?:eyebrow::confused::confused:

2. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Metro 5-strings come with Hipshot Licensed tuners. IME they are slightly heavier than US Hipshots. 4-string Metros come with tuners Sadowsky logo engraved, I think - not 100% sure - they are made by Gotoh.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

The bodies are extensively routed/chambered.

4. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    They're chambered, not semi-hollow. Semi-hollow implies an f-hole.

5. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

I fully agree with the impact of fingerboard wood on tone. My qualm with the influence of body wood on tone is simply that there can be significant differences between 2 pieces of the same type of wood, let alone different woods. I don't believe that ash sounds one way and mahogany another and that this is predictable or significant enough to be relevant (more low-mids, etc.). Pick pairs of basses that are identical in all respects except body wood. I will bet a large sum of dead presidents that nobody can BLINDLY tell (with any kind of consistency, say 75%) which bass is made from which wood based on tone. Just my 02.

Apology for the derail....back to regularly scheduled programming....

6. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

I disagree. For example, G & L ASAT semi-hollow is available + or - an f-hole.

7. Actually, semi-hollow has nothing to do with an f-hole. For example, the Rob Allen basses are 'semi-hollow', which means they have chambers resulting from removal of some of the body wood, just like the Sadowsky NYC. The Rob Allens have a few large chambers, while the Sadowsky NYC has many smaller ones. You can get Rob Allens with or without an F hole.

I would agree, though, that a few large chambers results in more of an 'acoustic' tone, whereas the tight chambering of the Sadowsky is primarily for weight reduction.

8. That was awesome, thank you! I ended up even taking notes about the history of his preamps.

9. How long have they been doing this? Mine is about 7 years old and is 9.5 lbs... I suspect it's solid.

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    They still do NYC basses that are solid. If you get a clear finish with no figured top, those usually are solid according to Kevin at Sadowsky.

My 1988 Sadowsky is solid Swamp Ash @7.5 lbs. As Roger mentioned in that video the lighter woods were easier to come by back then.

11. +1. The nonrouted ash are indicated as 'solid ash' on the spec's on the website. I just got a solid ash NYC MV5, and it's just totally, completely killer, and still under 9 pounds. The really light ash models don't really do it much for me, but that 8.5-9 pound range really seems to be a great mix of 'reasonable' weight and low end punch and balls!

12. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    My 1998 NYC Standard 4-string Ash with quilted maple top weighs in at 9.2 pounds. I agree with the previous poster in that 8.5 - 9.5 (IME) seems to be the best combination of light enough without sacrificing sound quality.

13. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Both the Metro Line and the NYC use satin nitro on the necks and poly on the bodies.

NYC tuners are all US Hipshot. Metro uses licensed Hipshot on the 5 string and Gotoh on the 4 string.

As said, chambered bodies, graphite strips and thicker headstock are NYC only.

Straplocks NYC, regular strap buttons on Metro

Bridges same design, but Metro bridge made overseas with 1.5mm adjustment wrench. NYC made in US with 1/16" adjustment wrench

Full range of options available on NYC. Options on Metro limited to model and color.

Choice of case on NYC.

Pickups and preamp same on both.

Hope this helps.

roger

14. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy

It seems that you are a sadowsky's expert ;)

15. Now I'm confused. Someone mentioned that the NYC headstocks were about 5/8" thick which is exactly what my Metro measures.??:meh: