1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky on American Idol?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, May 4, 2006.

1. For years now, I've been watching American Idol. Partly because I do like hearing (some of) those people sing, but also because I love the band and especially Ricky Minor's stuff on bass. I always see little glimpses and remember him played 4/5 string Ken Smith basses, and you can hear that distinctive midrange tone too.

But tonight, he appeared to be playing a 4-string Sadowsky :eek:

Couldn't get a real good look at it, but I think it was blue. And the tone was different too, in a good way. Very deep and powerful. I might prefer his Ken Smith tone though...I'm not sure. To me, the Ken Smiths have a little more 'character' to their tone.

I'm I crazy or does anyone else notice this kinda stuff too? :p

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Rickey's been using that blue Sadowsky Standard 4 bass for a while. He used it last season a ton and I thought his tone suffered when he went to the Smiths. Just modern sounding for me.

I liked seeing and hearing him with that Sadowsky.

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/pop_up_artists/minor.html

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I allways enjoy seeing and hearing a Sadowsky on TV. :bassist:

4. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    He does sound great. The pure musician thinks he totally overplays, but the bass geek in me loves to hear those licks so high in the mix. I think he does a good job of picking the right bass for the song.

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ricky rocks on either bass!!

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I thought the Smith really killed the Sadowsky, which kind of surprised me.

7. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    My wife makes fun of me for this, but every time I see anyone performing on TV, I "have to" see what gear the bass player is using. Bugs the crap out of her. Some people just don't get it! :rollno:

8. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I think his tone is excellent with both the Smith and the Sadowsky, but I'm sure that has more to do with his serious skill level than the equipment itself. He's a good example someone who would sound great regardless of the axe he's got strapped on. I prefer the Smith sound myself, but either way his tone is excellent.

That said, he does significantly over-play on many of the songs. It's really my only gripe with him, some of the stuff is just gratuitous and unnecessary. I know its his band and he can (sort-of) do what he wants to do, but I can't think of another "TV" bassist that gets away with what he does .... :meh:

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I also prefer it when he is playing the Smith. . . I can hear the sound of the wood combination.

The Sadowsky sounds kind of generic, modern and brittle, but more run-of-the-mill.

The Smith sound is unmistakable.

10. I concur...I was listening and noticed a change in tone, then I saw when they panned over to the band that Rickey had brought out the Sadowsky. I liked his tone last year from what I rememberred, but compared to the Smith, I thought the Smith killed it. He should go back to the Smith.

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Ken Smith 6 and a Sadowsky 4 string have been his staple basses for years.

12. +1.

13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I do this too!!!!
    :D
    And the problem I have (well, SHE thinks it's a problem-I don't really) is I identify the bass!
    She'll say (sarcasticly) "OK, what kind is it?!?!?"

14. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I too don't like it when he overplays. It really annoys me. Maybe I'm just envious of his chops and his job. IMHO, he has a very commercial (pop/R&B) tone with the Smiths and a more rockin' sound with the Sadowsky.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    +1

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Yep, saw the Sadowsky--amazing how we can probably nail gear brands with a 1/100th of a second clip.

Minor's overplaying this season has killed a bunch of otherwise great performances for me. He craps on Elliott's tunes especially, mainly because of the style. Did you hear the run after "cuz' I can play this here guitar" during 'On Broadway'?

It's like if you give him an inch, he'll overplay a mile...EVERY TIME. Ugh. Ease back dude, ease back. You got the pocket covered...it's not your show.

17. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    It's a context sort of thing. He is playing on a show that showcases green singers that aren't used to singing in front of a band, especially one that is so powerful. Plus it's a competition so you don't want to take away the spotlight from the singer. The producers of the show don't seem to mind and they keep hiring him as MD, so good for him.

18. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Haha..that lick really stands out as an example. Part of me was thinking...."Oh come on":rolleyes:, but the other side was like "H3LL yeah." :bassist:

19. polo515

polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    NYC
    I have to admit I don't watch this show, too pop for my tastes, but I play both a Ken Smith and a Sadowsky and they are very different instruments. Both are excellent, well made and top shelf. I will add that since I got the Sadowsky, I haven't played the Smith out at all. Maybe I spend too much time reading these forums, or maybe I just LOVE the Sadowsky and only like the Smith. To each his own.

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    It's tough for me. I prefer pocket players over flash. Especially when the song just needs support.

I like to hear some good runs but I agree that he as really done it a lot this season and at times where I thought it really took away from the vocal.