Sadowsky or Alembic? Modulus or Fender? Etc

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimS, Nov 18, 2004.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  2. LMAYO! I've got to buy you a drink for that one! :D
  3. Great article Jims

You are a sarcastic !@#$% I like it I like it! :D
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL. I've always said that only bassists can taste the difference!
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I own two of those now... owned another recently and I am thinking about the other

Modulus-I have a VJ and Q6 fretless. The VJ is my FAVORITE BASS!! It has a great sound exceptionally comfortable to play, and reproduces all the cool sounds of an old bass. I compared it recently to a 64 Jazz Bass and a 75 Jazz bass and I thought it was better balanced and better sounding than the vintage basses. Compared to a new Fender the fit and finish is alot better. BTW the bass is passive with a carbon fiber neck and rosewood fingerboard.

The Q6 is a great sounding bass and the extra inch really does make a difference. I like this bass so much I've thought about the fretted version. The sound is solid clear and punchy.

Alembic- I think it is neck heavy, sounded OK. Wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be with the electronics. This was an Epic model and the "set-neck" never really set. The active electronics sounded good on tape but I was never comfortable with the bass.

Fender- I owned a P Bass and a fretless MIJ Jazz. It's a Fender... The P-Bass sounds like it's supposed to, but has the limitations because of the single pickup. Mine is active and its OK.

The Sadowsky is really a Fender with superb fit and finish. It's not a fair comparision to Fender. The price is at least twice that of Fender and is probably twice as nice. The Sadowsky preamps have a very "modern" sound... They electronics are definitely working.

Each one of these basses are very different. Comparing the Modulus or Alembic to the others is like comparing oranges to mandarin oranges. The Fender to Sadowsky comparision is more like comparing a Chevy to a GMC... The same but different. The Sadowsky kept going where Fender left off. You could make your Fender into a Sadowsky... but wouldn't you just buy a Sadowsky??