Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky or Celinder, Which one should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, May 12, 2003.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I was looking for a jazz style sixer, but I just can not find something that I like. So I think I have made up my mind and am going to get another fiver. I am thinking of a Sadowsky Vintage 5 or a Celinder J 5. Help me out. The price difference is about $1000.

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've played both, well 4-strings...they are both really really fine vintage style instruments...but I did found the Sadowsky all round a bit better though...I think you will be best off by trying both and compare them yourselves...you won't go wrong either way..There is also a 5-string shoot out on Bass Players web site, that might interest you...

BTW, I haven't heard a Celinder b-string, but the Sadowsky b-string always gets a BIG thumbs up!!!!;)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I personally love Celinders, although I haven't really played a Sadowsky too long, but my teacher plays Celinders, and I love that tone! 5string Celinder?id=38 he's selling... Very nice guy, bought my J-Retro from him thats how I met him

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

They are both great basses, you cannot go wrong either way.. Your best bet is to try each if you can... Sadowskys have a 7 day trial I believe and you can't beat Rogers customer service.. Yes I do have a Vintage 5 for sale, but mine has a Lakland/Bartolini preamp in it, not the original Celinder preamp... The cool thing is it has the adjustable mid-sweep control, not normally found on Celinders... Heres a pic of the ones I have now...

6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

And Anthony, thank you for the mention...

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have both. They are similar in premise but different in many ways. Celinder 5's are 35" scale, a little heavy in most cases, Celinder pickups and preamp. Sometimes they use different pre's. Mine has an Aguilar which I don't care for.

Sadowsky 5's are 34" scale, generally light, Sadowsky pickups and pre. The 24 fret models have emg's or Sadowsky humbuckers.

Overall I prefer Sadowsky. I prefer 34" scale, his preamp, and overall workmanship and finish. Sadowsky's in most cases are borderline "the perfect jazz bass" His preamp is the best. I think so, and so does most everyone I've ever gigged with. I own Pensa's, a Fodera, and the Celinder. His pre, is in my opinion, hands down the clearest, punchiest, and most articulate. You don't need a mid control. As a matter of fact, my Demeter pre's mid control as set on zero!!

The Celinder is aweful nice, though. Mine is silver with green l.e.d's in the fretboard! Pretty cool. I just acquired another Sadowsky today so I will be putting the Celinder up for sale.

As always, you need to judge for yourself. Some of us have our opinions and reasons why we like one or the other. Please check out both for yourself and make up your own mind:D

Rob

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've got a Celinder J update 5. Have played Sadowsky as well. I love the Celinder because it is solid as hell and I'm a Fender lover; but the Sadowsky preamp is definitely better. The Celinder preamp is good but not as good IMHO. I run my 72 jazz and 77 precision through the Sadowsky outboard pre and it sounds great. That said both basses are terrific. I'm keeping my Celinder, the B string is top notch. I have a Fodera Imperial 5 and the Celinder B string is on par with the Fodera. Play both and weigh price difference as well.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    No problem. :)

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Re Jazz-style 6s, this is the only one I know of:

www.shukerguitars.co.uk/default.htm

Click on the choices under J-Bass.

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    whew! I got scared for a second.. my name is Anthony too.. was curious as to how he knew my name :p

12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Thanks for the comments. I will be buying the bass with out being able to audition either one. I like the extended cutaways on the Celinder more than the Sadowsky body. But I have heard such great reviews about Sadowsky. I wish I could get a quilted or flame top on the Celinder. Choices, too many choices. That is a good thing though.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    If your quest for a 6 is over, I'd get a Sadowsky Tokyo. Great bass. Quality, craftsmanship & playability are TOP NOTCH!!!!!!

If you're still in the 6 mood, Atelier Z (original owner os Atelier now makes the Sadowsky Tokyo) makes a 6 string Jazz. I've never played one but it might be worth a shot. IIRC, http://www.bassboutique.com/ is the only USA Distributor of these basses.

14. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    G4, I had a chance to play a few Celinders 2 weeks ago, and I was blown away by their tone and playability. I had never played a Sadowsky until yesterday. After playing both, I picked up the phone and bought the Celinder. For me, it has a nicer feel and balance. They are both great basses, but the Celinders have won me over. This won't be the last one that I buy. Good luck.