1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky or Ken Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woody357, May 4, 2015.

1. Ken Smith

55 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Sadowsky

88 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Which bass brand would you go with?

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Are you asking because you're considering purchasing one or the other? I don't mean to come off as blunt or short, but those brands/products are so different that it seems like the choice should be fairly obvious to you based on your personal taste.

Chef, RiZzBot, jmac and 8 others like this.
  3. in a fight?

petey293 likes this.
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    yes

EveryThreadEver.

5. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Eminor yes I am considering buying my last bass and those two have been popping up. I play R & B, Jazz, Pop, and a little country from time to time, and do mean a little. Unfortunately those are not basses I can just go to a local store and try. I don't know anyone in this town that has a Sadowsky, to ask if I could try it, and everyone that I know with a Smith won't let anyone touch it, hahahahahaha.

6. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Sadowsky will feel like a *really* nice Fender, but will tend to sound more like a Sadowsky (though you can get the Fender thing). Smith won't feel anything like a Fender, and won't sound anything like a Fender though you can get a P-ish tone from the neck pickup. I'm using a Smith to play jazz, funk, soul, pop/rock, and will be doing some country. But I'm not trying to sound like a Jazz-bass.

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Do you anticipate having to deal with the shop? If the answer is yes, the answer is simple...

8. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I find the Sadowsky Modern will get you into Smith territory tone-wise. A Sadowsky Jazz with not. Have you played a Smith or Sadowsky in the past? They are both quite different ergonomically and you may find that you vastly prefer one over the other. One nice thing about Sadowsky (if you buy direct from the shop) is that they have a seven-day trial period. If you buy a bass and find you don't like it you can send it back (at your expense).

Joebone and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  9. I played a Ken Smith Design bass today and it felt alright and sounded just ok for a $700 bass made in China....

10. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Sadowsky Modern 24 fret 5-string

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Two totally different types of basses. Do you want a modern take on a classic design or do you want something completely different?

I don't think I would ever consider a Ken Smith bass just because of the type of person he's painted himself as.

I've owned a few Sadowskys and they have all been top notch.

12. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    oh-man-o-shevitz! i havnt seen that pic before! lol

i voted "ken smith" thinking in my mind that they are totally better for metal

...then i scrolled down and first saw this picture you posted. made my day lol

13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Sadowsky is better than Fender.

14. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    This is true. Not quite the same but ballpark. As bass12 says, the ergos on the instruments are different, as will be the weight (unless you're looking at a a Sadowsky Metro).

15. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Why these two? G&L makes killer active J's, lots of bang for the buck there

pjbassist likes this.
  16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    VERY different sounding instruments.

I have both. I am fixing to sell my Smith - because while it plays like a dream and sounds *GREAT* for fingerstyle, it sounds strange for slap (at least to me). And it's kind of heavy.

My Sadowsky is a modern 5/24 and while it has some of the "ken smith sound" going on, it's crazy light, almost as easy to play and has a more versatile sounds (at least to my ears).

Carlo Tanori and Doug Parent like this.
  17. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I have 2 Sadowsky's (24F5 and WL4) and 0 Smith's so my vote is obvious. I did play a used Smith in a store once and didn't walk away wowed, just not for me.

18. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I have a MusicMan Bongo, IMHO a G & L are like MusicMan

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :smug:Rather than make a choice, buy a USA Peavey Cirrus and order a Sire Marcus Miller V7, and put the rest in your retirement fund.:bassist::hyper:

20. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Fodera!