Sadowsky Outboard as only preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quallabone, Sep 7, 2004.

1. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Has anyone used the outboard DI/Preamp pedal with a passive bass as the only link between the bass and the poweramp? Very interested in how it sounds and if it's an ok idea. I have outboard compression and EQ so it doesn't bother me that the settings on the Sad are limited.

OPINIONS NOW!!!!!!!!!

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I think you will be disappointed. I haven't tried this with mine, but I have with my SABDDI. I am willing to guess that the Sadowsky will have the same result. Neither send a signal hot enough to drive a power amp sufficiently. They are not built for such purposes, and you will get very little volume and disappointing tone out of your power amp/cab.

I tried my SABDDI with a Stewart 2.1 mono bridged into an Eden 410xlt, and still wasn't getting enough volume for modest playing levels.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You apparently aren't aware that you can just de-solder one resister in the SABDDI to get full power to drive a power amp all by itself . . .

Output voltage of the Sadowsky is different in any event. Anybody actually try it?
  4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Eric -

Please give me details. I must do this now. It is my mission.
    Thank you.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hmmm. That means that you could install a switch in your Sadowsky/Aguilar/etc. outboard (resistor in-line or not) and have it function as either an outboard or a stand-alone pre amp...or did I miss something? So it could be your spare pre amp if the rack pre amp went south?
  6. I haven't used the Sadowski model but I have used the Aguilar DB924 which are similar from what I understand. The output level wasn't strong enough on its own, but the addition of a rack mount EQ with an output level was all I needed to get the required signal boost.

It sounded good to me, if not a little too dry. That is only my preference, not a judgement on the sound quality. Now I use a Sansamp ADI with the same configuration with great results.

I say go for it. Just be sure you use a signal boosting device between the Sadowski and the power amp.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    In the BDDI, there is a mark on each side of one resistor that looks like this: < > Just desolder and remove that, and it will deliver the increased output.

There was a complete thread on this about a year ago here at Talkbass. Search for it, and be enlightened . . . ;)
  8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
  9. I'm sure this was probably addressed in the previous thread...but I'm lazy. : Will this not decrease your battery life? Seems like to push that kind of line level, is gonna need a lot of juice.
  10. Oh...ok, I have the old 'belt model'...forget my last post.