Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sadowsky outboard pre amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these boxes?

2. I have the belt-clip version and use it with my '72 jazz. A friend has the stomp box. Both are excellent and sound great, but the stomp box is better constructed and more practical, IMHO.

Jeff

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As Jeff said, there are two models, the older beltclip style and the floor unit. Which are you interested in?

I had a beltclip model for a while and it does work, basically two bands, bass and treble boost.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If I had the belt clip pre amp, could I use that going to a power amp? You know, instead of using an Ampeg SVP PRO through my SoundTech power amp, could I use the Sadowsky? Or is could it only be used going to a bass in to the front of an amp?

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Never tried it but I don't recall the output being as "hot" as an actual preamp. You'd want to present as big a signal as possible without overdriving the amp input

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've tried the older belt clip model. It will make just about any budget, or "average", sounding bass sound great. It adds a nice full low end, some refined treble tones, and gives the bass some life.

I wouldn't use it on a Stingray, with a new set of strings, that bass sounds great as is.

The preamp will really improve the sound of stock Fender basses and cheaper off brand basses.

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    obviously i dont need these for my stingray because on the 8th day stingrays were created! (kidding) but i want a sadowsky , but the wife has put it to me this way... bass or car and guys i just dont like to walk. not looking for a "sadowsky in a box" just wonderin if it will bring my 2 passives to life.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've tried these on both stock budget-priced basses and high end basses ($2000-$4500). IMHO, it will improve the tone of a stock passive bass. They don't do anything for high end basses. Go for it!

Try to find a used one at bassgear.com or ebay. Otherwise, if you end up paying retail for a new one... it's worth it.

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I don't have the Sadowsky but I do have the Aguilar DB 924 which is essentially the same in both construction and circuitry. It has become an essential part of my rig. I use it live with my Eden rig for serious headroom boost (my basses are passive) and it is a fabulous DI for recording. I don't even use my Eden amp DI for recording anymore. Sadowsky or Aguilar - I would buy either in a heatbeat.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    some well respected internet shop owner told me that the aggie was junk. the only real difference i could tell was that the aggie was MUCH louder due to the 18v rather than 9. i think the extra noise i heard was because of the extra volume. i will be adding this to my MIM jazz fretless and my daion.
    by the way if you havent heard of a daion you should check one out if you can find it. the only other person i've seen with one is the swami at bass palace.

11. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I have the older belt clip model (except I took off the belt clip and just put on the floor). Really beefs up the sound of my 72 jazz - it seems subtle but really makes a difference in a band setting. Tried it on my G&L L2000 fretless just for kicks - basically useless if you run it straight in (as opposed to using an effects loop) because it easily overdrives the circuit, and with the loop it's just boomy. Won't really help if you want to change the sound of a high output bass, but a great little box for a passive bass.

12. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Just thought I would add my 2 cents here. The original belt-clip model was made from 1990-2000 (you can find them on ebay). It has now been replaced with the Preamp/DI Pedal which maintains the original Sadowsky 2 band EQ with 1/4" out plus a XLR output with ground lift switch, a bypass switch with LED for the Preamp section, a tuner out with a mute switch an an LED, a low battery LED, an easy access battery compartment and an AC adapter jack.

I primarily recommend the Preamp for any passive bass, active basses with bypass switches, and upright bass pickups. However many players have reported to me they even like the preamp on active basses without bypass switches (just set the onboard controls as flat as possible). I recommend the preamp be the first link in the signal chain coming out of the bass.

The preamp is sold direct by me for $239 plus shipping.
    It is sold on a 7 day return policy. Check it out, and if it is not the right product for you, just return it for a refund.

More info at:
    http://www.sadowsky.com/preamp.html

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want additional info.

Roger Sadowsky
    roger@sadowsky.com

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    shall we just say i am a bit star struck. Mr. Sadowsky, your basses are wonderful. but untill i go on the road for another us tour, i cant justify that kinda cash. the reason i say that is i want to say thank you for giving us the pre amp option to help make our lower end stuff sound a little more high end. alot of the other luthiers would take the attitude "want high end sound... you'll need to spend 4000 on my american made....you know" so thank you for being an all around good person. one last thing. is the aguilar a rip off of your pre amp or is it an original design?

14. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    What would these preamps do for a Rick? Rick isn't really considered a low-budget bass, so will it work wonders with it too? I got rid of my Sting Ray so I could of need some way of getting an active sound...I was looking at a Fondera, Aguilar, or a Sadowsky...any other brands I should take a look at?

15. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    From what i read Alex Aguilar had a hand in the designing process of both the Sadowsky out board pre and the Aguilar out board pre. Thats what i heard anyway.

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    anybody else?

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    For the whole inerview, <a href="http://sadowsky.com/interview.html">CLICK HERE</a>

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The cost of the bass IMO doesn't really decide whether or not the Sadowsky preamp will be beneficial. As Roger said, it's recommended for:

"any passive bass, active basses with bypass switches, and upright bass pickups. However many players have reported to me they even like the preamp on active basses without bypass switches (just set the onboard controls as flat as possible). I recommend the preamp be the first link in the signal chain coming out of the bass."

That's also been my experience. One of the wildest things I remember trying with my older Sadowsky preamp was one of the newer Danelectro basses. It was a very eye-opening experience.

19. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I remember you mentioning that in an old thread, Brad. Hmmm, perhaps I shouldn't bury the DC in the backyard just yet.

20. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    anybody else?