1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky outboard pre

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spiritbass, Mar 28, 2015.

1. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I've been scouting for an outboard pre to use in conjunction with my precision. Alas, my first choice, the (J)Retro stompbox has been unavailable for some time. After considering the Sad, the Tonehammer, and the 3leaf Audio Enabler, I ended up ordering one of Roger's last Sunday and received it in Thursday's mail. I was digging it for two days with the volume dimed and the treble boosted to noon into my Cafe Walter and PJB headphones. Today I plugged it into my Reeves 225 and MAS 110 Flex rig. The boosted treble setting that was so satisfying in the headphones was not hissy or harsh, just too much. After setting both tone controls flat (CCW = no boost), it was giving me just what I wanted to hear: 'more of everything' with a brighter overall tone and perfect balance from top to bottom. Thousands of satisfied players were right - this is a very nice preamp. Clear, quiet, and musical. Any tonal coloration it brings to the game is subtle and in ear-pleasing places. It does bring a bit of gain to the game - the signal is noticeably boosted when the pre is engaged with the volume cranked and controls flat when compared to the input signal. There is no spec mentioned in the documentation, but I'd guess at least 9db. It's build like a tank but small enough to fit inside the Gator soft/hard case I use. I haven't tried the DI output yet, but if it's good enough for Will Lee, I'm sure that it's good enough for me. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    ac11367 likes this.