Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Outboard Preamp in Amp's Effects Loop????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 4, 2005.

1. So I just found this precious little gem called the Sadowsky Outboard Preamp. I like the unit very much, and will now not part with it.

I am stuck though on how I should run it. I know its primarily used before your head, but I'm curious about what kind of different tone you guys would precieve I would get running it in the loop.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I must say that I love my basses passive tone, and I don't use the preamp for radical tone shapping. I use it to give me a little more "support", and "heft" at 40Hz.

Now if I'm correct in my theory, you would get a more "passive" tone running it in the loop, having the bass plug directly into the amps head, and then using the Sadowsky as an extra EQ, dialing in more lows. (I have the bass knob no higher then 8 o'clock / 8:30 for just a little boost to the booty)

vs.

Having the Sadowsky first, then the head.

Anyone?

Again, the goal is to keep the tone sounding as passive as possible, but I do want to keep the Sadowskyin the chain, because I love the way it boost at 40Hz (BEST I'VE EVER HEARD)

What do you guys think?

2. wow, nobody is even reading this one huh?

3. maybe this should be under effects? cmon people!

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    This should be in the effects column. There are threads on Sadowsky questions like yours.

I run mine as follows:

bass>chorus>octabass>Sadowsky>amp.

I run a separate line out of the Sadowsky to a tuner. I see no value in running the pedal through the loop, or even running anything through the loop. Tried it. Didn't do enough for me to want to have more cables onstage.

5. Plug straight into it, use it as a DI right into a board/DAW, use it as a pre straight into a power amp, it's ALL GOOD!!!! Experimant. The only time this pedal does not work well is with active bases, IMO. It's built like a tank and for gods sake, it's Sadowsky, you can't go wrong.

6. I wasn't asking how you prefer to use the Sadowsky, but asking what you percieve the tone diffrence would be between the loop, or out in front.
    And which out of the two would have the more "passive" tone and why? (if you had tech talk as to why, that would be cool, but maybe I'm asking too much)

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Sorry about that. I honestly don't know what that would sound like. Either wayu you use it, it's preamp into a pre amp with one boosting the signal before the other.

Try it and let us know what you think.

8. It doesn't make much sense to me to run this unit in the effects loop. I believe it's designed to mimic an internal bass preamp without having to modify your bass. One of the advantages of having an active preamp has to do with 'pickup loading' and the signal that actually goes into the input of your amp. It seems you would lose that advantage putting it in the effects loop. I don't think there would be anything harmful about doing it, but it seems to not fit with the logic and reason these small, battery operated 'active' boxes were made for.

9. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Just curious, but what's the point of running a preamp into another preamp? When does it become redundant?

10. That kind of goes to my previous point. There are a number of benefits to having a passive pickup go through some sort of active device prior to a long cable run into an amp. Quite frankly, one of the biggest advantages of these battery powered preamps is to have them installed in your bass so that you have some control over your tone without having to walk back to the amp, etc. From what I understand, these 'floor units' were primarily designed for people with vintage basses that wanted the advantages of a more modern sound, the pickup loading issue, etc. without modifying their bass. If you have a bass that isn't a high value vintage instrument, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for the floor models versus going 'on board'.

11. I understand it goes against logic for why these were made, but I'm using it as an EQ and nothing more. I've tried other EQ pedal/preamps, but I think this is the best at boosting at 40Hz. I want to try to keep as much as a "passive" sound as possible, so I'm wondering if running my bass into the amps head, then the Sadowsky in the loop would retain the "passive" sound more then the Sadowsky first.

Ya see, I dont know much about impedences and pickup loads ect... According to all the 'technical' info, which would yield more of a "passive" tone.

Again, My soul purpose in using the Sadowsky is for the IMO Superior boost at 40Hz. I'm not so interested in getting an "active" tone.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Why not try it both ways and see which you prefer?

However, these pedals are generally designed to take an instrument level signal i.e. from the bass and not from an effects loop.

13. i plan on doing just that, i do like too hear others thoughts in it though.