Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Outboard PreAmp + J-Retro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AngryArgentine, Jan 25, 2002.

1. I wanted to know if I could use the Sadowsky DI pedal with my Jazz Bass that has a J-retro Preamp. All I have to do is switch it to passive and I should be able to use the Sadowsky preamp right?
    -Julian

2. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    Yes, that should work fine. And contrary to what Sadowsky says, you can use it with the J-retro on as well. You just have to turn it down quite a bit, to avoid overloading the circuit. I have a Frankenbass with a U-retro and EMG's. I like to run that through my Sadowsky. The Lows on each unit have a different sound. I prefer the Sadowsky lows, so I usually turn down the U-retro lows, turn up the Sadowsky lows (just a little goes a long way). Then I boost the mids at about 400htz for growl. It's a great Nathan East like tone.

3. Actually, this is not contrary to what the Sadowsky website says....

Go ahead. Do it.

4. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    From the Sadowsky Website:

"The Preamp/D.I. Pedal is recommended for all passive basses, basses with active pickups, and instruments that have active electronics that can be bypassed"