Sadowsky outboard preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godoze, Jan 2, 2003.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am seriously considering picking up one of these. Any of you have experience with them ? Are they well built ? Do you like the tonal options ?
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I used a friend's for about a month while he was on vacation and it was cool as hell. Great balanced lows and crisp but not necessarily brittle highs. Seemed to warm everything up too. I considered one for awhile after that but then I tried a Sans Amp and found that it was more what I was looking for.

Oh yeah, and uh, very well built. Would last forever.
  3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Good. bottom line. lol]

good tonal variation and nice beefy lows without the dreaded mud factor. took it apart to change the battery and the whole circut board was sheilded... now THAT's craftsmanship!
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yeah, I think i'm going to go for it...
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think they are great for passive basses - designed for Jazz basses. But they don't do anything for active basses - I used it a lot with the RB5, but it now just sits in my gig bag!
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    wanna part with it ?
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love 'em! great sounds. but another you could check out is J-Retro's new outboard box. i've got J-Retro's in all my basses. i'm sure the outboards are just as sweet.
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use it....i don't really love it, but i would not dare leave my home without it.

it does make my MIM Jazz really, come alive. for small group stuff, i use it direct into to PA. for live group stuff i still use it, but go into an Ampeg SVP/QSC RMX Power - monster.

i was considering getting some barts for my Jazz, but with this box, i really don't think i need them.

the reason that i don't exactly love it is because i am very picky and don't really dig anything (i change my mind every five minutes - my chick has rubbed off on me)

would i buy another one if it was stolen? absolutely but i would want to try the J-Retro as well.
  9. It adds hugely to the range of tone for my MIA Jazz V, gets that Marcus Miller sound - singing high pops with solid, full low end as well.

However, I hardly play the Jazz live anymore. I do use it with my passive F Bass BN6, where it helps boost the lows before the preamp stage of my rig.

The DI out is a neat feature as well for those who reinforce their sound with a PA feed.
  10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I use mine with a Fender Am. Dlx Precision. I hated the stock preamp so I bought the Sadowsky and I am so happy that I did. I now run my active bass flat and let the Sadowsky do the tone shaping. I also use it with my Modulus VJ4 which has a Bartolini NTBT. It isn't as noticeable of a difference compared to the Fender, this is due in part to the Bartolini electronics just plain sounding better than the stock Fender pre. Overall, I would say that it is a good investment and can make a huge improvement in tone for basses that lack higher end electronics or are passive.
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A friend let me borrow his outboard Sadowsky and I tried it with a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe and a 4 string Jazz. All of the previous posts pretty much say what I had to say.

I have a new Skyline JO 5 with the J-Retro. The Sadowsky has its own distinctive tone, and the J-Retro can come pretty close. If you really like the Sadowsky tone, just get the Sadowsky. If you think you might like the sweepable mid feature of the J-Retro, you should consider trying it out.
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    never even heard of the j-retro. anyone have a link to the site ?
  13. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    How about the Fodora pre made by Mike Pope, any of you guys check out that one? I recently got a Roscoe Beck passive and love it.....but it's my first passive in twenty years and some times miss having active EQ at my disposal.
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The J-Retro site:

also, try doing a search for "J-Retro" in the basses forum. there's some good info in a number of threads.