Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky owners - advice, please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by abngourmet, Jun 24, 2005.

1. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    To all Sadowsky owners,

I'm seriously considering picking up a Sadowsky NYC model fretless. It's number 4343 on their site. I do have a few questions, though ...

What's the major difference between the NYC models and the made in Tokyo models?

The electronics are vol-vol-tone-stack. What does that mean?

Are the fretless fingerboards coated a la Pedulla?

Should flatwounds or roundwounds be used on a Sadowsky Fretless? I prefer roundwounds.

Yes, I know, some may accuse me of being a "Sadowsky basher." The way I see it, this is my opportunity to put my less than stellar views of Sadowsky's to rest for good. I'll have my own Sadowsky to put through its paces, and compare it to my other instruments, using the same rig, settings, etc. With Roger's 7 day trial period policy, I figure I can't go wrong.

Comments/advice, please?

Thanks,

Alan

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Heres the bass http://sadowsky.com/stock/view/4343.html

First thing is that Fretless is not an option on the Sadowsky Metro line so they can only be made through Sadowsky NYC. Specs on the NYC line - chambered bodys , cuts down on weight but also adds a more acoustical tone to the instrument. Graphite reinforced necks and thicker headstocks for further stability and decrease the possibilitys for deadspots.

3. MAJOR METAL

I am not a big fretless player so i am not sure about the fingerboard but the control lay out is more of a vintage layout then the current Sadowsky configuration.

4. Separate volume controls for the neck and bridge, a passive tone control (treble roll off), and the Sadowsky active treble/bass controls (boost only) on a stacked knob.

Not unless you special order them that way.

A Sadowsky fretless is no different than any other fretless in that regard--you should use whatever you like. The particular one you're looking at has a rosewood board, while many other fretless Sads have ebony boards.

Mike

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Hey, as a Sadowsky owner, I encourage you to take the whirl, though I have never tried a Sad Fretless model.

You should just call them up (or shoot an email) asking them about the fretboard coating (or lack there of).

6. MAJOR METAL

It says solid on the listing so this one must not be chambered.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I was a skeptic until I picked one up used a few years ago. I eventually sold all my other gig worthy basses. Take the 7 day trial and see for yourself. Remember, these basses shine on stage and on tape. Make sure you gig it or take it to rehearsal to get a true judgement. Good luck. Its a beautiful piece

BTW, I'm gonna be at the shop Monday. I could check it out for u although you know what my advice will still be. LOL!

Rob

8. abngourmet

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Rob,

That would be great if you could "do a recon" of the bass for me.

I probably won't have an opportunity to take it to a rehearsal or studio as I am not gigging with anyone at the moment (I'm in musical hell in Fayetteville, NC). I've just heard so much about these instruments (which are extremely well made, BTW) that I've got to try one and really put it through it's paces at some point.

Thanks,

Alan

9. MAJOR METAL

Alan

Do you think you will go for it?.

10. abngourmet

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Well, I need to balance it off of other requirements right now. I have more than enough of credit limit available to buy it on a credit card, but I'm somewhat reluctant to do so. All the feedback I've read on TB says Sadowsky's shine in the studio and live. I just want to be sure I can try one in that environment so I can get the best gauge of how good they truly are. I'm not playing with a band right now, nor do I have producers or other musicians knocking down my door for studio dates.

As I noted in a previous post, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Metro I played at Indoor Storm, but others have suggested I really need to try it in a live/studio environment to truly appreciate the Sadowsky's virtues. I really want to do that. It is truly well built; the attention to detail is pretty amazing. Roger's customer service is legendary from what I've read here, so any Sadowsky I buy would be worth it from those two perspectives alone. Besides, I really need to try one plugged into my rig to truly be able to do a fair comparison with my other instruments before I form any type of final personal judgment about Sadowskys. The folks here are ravenous in their support for them; they must have something going for them to engender that type of loyalty.

Does this mean I won't take the plunge? Not necessarily. But that's a lot of cash for anyone to plunk down all at once. Like I said, I've got competing requirements for financial resources at the moment, so I'm going to have to think about it a bit longer. Like I said, I could buy it today on a credit card - we'll see I guess. I'll definitely post here and let everyone know if I do go ahead and pick it up.

Alan

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Played the fretless today at the shop in Brooklyn. PM me if u wish for an overview

Rob

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Oooh. It must suck. ;)

Maj,

Wait until you can gig/record with it. I can't imagine anyone being blown away with one playing in a music store or in their living room. It sounds like--a bass. And one without any particularly unique tone. IMO, the harmonic interaction with other instruments is what gives them such a unique character. While some bases tend to get squashed in the mix, the Sadowsky actually gains presence. The other instruments seem to suck up the crappy freqs and leave the good ones. It's difficult to explain, but the other guys probably know what I mean. It ends up sounding like a bass is SUPPOSED to sound.

Also, for me, the Vintage tone control is mission essential. I sent mine back to have it retrofitted, and I don't know how I lived without it.

Finally, in the YMMV department, while we have a few pros on the site who use them, a lot of the guys here are weekend warriors with fat wallets. No offense meant to anyone--I'm one of those guys. But some of us might be full of crap. ;)

Happy hunting!

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Just buy it and try. Until you do, you'll never know.