Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Owners... Help? A little test for you all!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, May 27, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have been visiting for sometime but never registered or posted until now. You all seem very knowledgable about Saowsky's so I come to you.

Now this is a test that I do not have the answers to. Hence, this is why your help is needed. I have sent a similar email to several of you about this but figured I might just open it up to everyone who owns a Sadowsky.

I am (was, still, kind of) an endorsed artist with Warwick. I met Roger at Winter NAMM 2004 he has finally got me to jump ship and I ordered two sadowsky's (one metro M5-24 in black and an NYC 24-5 with a #A quilt and 59 burst like Serial number #4005). ALthough that is not set in stone at the moment.

Since I have played Warwick for so many years my ears are a bit skewed in that direction. I am currently working with a female country artist and she found 6 songs that she liked the sound of the bass.

Take a listen and let me know what you think the basses are; Jazz basses or Soapbar Sadowsky's. They may not even be Sadowsky's. But, give me an idea of what you hear and which Sadowsky model you think will give her the sound of each of those songs.

I have my thoughts on what they are but would like a second opinion. This will help me determine which Sadowsky I am going to go with although I already have an order in for two Modern 5's. But that can be changed.

I am far more concerned with my live tone than in the studio. A good engineer (or bad one for that matter) can make a Pbass sound like something else and vice versa. I want something punchy, deep, growly at times and smooth at other times. More agressive than old school country.

Here are the tracks and info I know about them:

Song #1 If my heart had wings - Both this song and song #2 were on the same album. The credits shows that only Michael Brignardello played on it. What is that guy using I wonder?

Song #2 What's in it for me - See #1

Song #3 One way ticket - The album credits list 5 bass players.... Glenn Worf, Mike Chapman, Paul Goad, Curtis Randall and Bob Smith so it is anyones guess who or what bass that is.

Song #4 Days gone by - Album credit Paul Bushnell and Jimmie Lee Sloas on Bass

Song #5 Born to fly - Album credits show only Glenn Worf on bass

Song #6 Perfect - Album credits show Michael Rhodes and Glenn Worf

Thanks in advance for your input.

---------------------------------------
    Some addition thoughts edited in from the bottom of this thread:

I have always liked having the same bass but several of them. Kind of like, my tone and my tone as a back up.

When I was using Warwick I had two of the same bass for all my live stuff (FNA Jazzman's). I actually love the combination of the MM pickup (with three way switch - split coil, humbucker in series, humbucker in parallel) and the jazz pickup in the neck. Since they had swamp ash bodies I could get very close to a jazz bass tone, easily a better MM tone and with the pan pot rolled up to just the neck jazz pickup I could get a P'ish kind of tone but not quite.

I stopped playing those because the necks were too bulky and I needed wide string spacing which they do not offer with those pickups.

This pickup config has been used by everyone like Lakland, Carvin and everyone else. Not sure who did it first but this is my favorite pickup config.

Laklands are good but there are too many things I don't like about them (35" scale, the pres they use, the pickups they use, neck radius, etc.)

MAYBE, I should talk to Roger about building me a prototype. A 24-5 body and neck with a MM style pickup in the bridge and one of his jazz pickups in the neck?

Seymour Duncan makes the current soapbars for Roger and Dimarzio makes the Jazz pickups (Ultra Jazz PU's) for him. It wouldn't be hard for Seymour Duncan to make an MM with the proper string spacing. I know some people over there too. Maybe I will call them as well to make one in their Custom Shop that is wider and will fit Rogers 19mm string spacing.

That to me would be the ultimate bass AND Roger would take a lot of business from Lakland. Can you imagine how many players and session guys use the Laklands for that PU config but would kill to have it in a Sadowsky? I know I'd buy a couple in a heart beat.

I am calling Roger first thing Tuesday morning!

---------------------------------------

UPDATE: Here are to samples that Pickles did of If My Heart Had Wings.

#1 Modulus with Soaps (not a Sadowsky but good enough to compare) Modulus Heart Had Wings

#2 Sadowsky Jazz Bass Sadowsky Jazz Bass Heart Had Wings

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    In general, postulating and theorizing about what bass is on what track is an effort in futility, IMHO. There's too many variables and too many well engineered examples to wrap my mind around. I may be the only poster who has the ability to put my ego aside and admit I can't hear the subtle differences because I don't sit behind a mixing board in a multi-million studio day after day like Dann Huff does :)

Brignardello and Michael Rhodes have been Sadowsky users for years. I've seen those guys using J bass pickups in their basses, but that's only what I see on TV and in magazines. Rhodes has a 5 string Sadowsky P now, but he got it only a few months ago. I'd buy into "If My Heart had Wings" as being a Sadowsky - there's a presence in there that reminds me of how my Sadowskys tape, which are all J pickup equipped. I've loved the bass tone on that LeAnn tune "One Way Ticket" since it came out years ago, but I don't think it's a Sadowsky.

I personally find that the J pickups Sadowskys are a little less agressive in a mix that those with soapbars. This is sort of the accepted wisdom regarding these pickups. I know the adjectives are of little use on the written page, but the J pickups still retain a centered tone with a definite identity while not being as "in your face" as a soapbar equipped bass. Aesthetically speaking, in regards to working with a female vocalist, I'd choose the J pickups over the soaps.

At the end of the day, I may not have imparted much help, but Sadowsky still has the 7 day return policy AFAIK. Plus, I've never heard a bad sounding Sadowsky.

In terms of live use, a Sadowsky will do everything you've asked for in your post - unlike trying to ID what bass is on what track, I can speak with some authority on that. With the VTC control installed, it'll do old-school country as well as everything else.

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I could guess at it, but doubt it'd be useful. You don't have their fingers, their outboard gear, and are not going to play the same tunes! If you're getting two basses and are unsure what sound you want why not get one of each?

FWIW, the tone on track one sonds more focussed and "modern" in the mids than what I tend to get with my RV5.

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I think he (BigMikeW) was talking about the "Aesthetically speaking" (i.e. Visually) part that doesn't make sense (do the J pups make her look thinner??? :p ).

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

You are correct but I didn't want to ask again. ;-)

Mike W.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm here to help. :D

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If I were going to play that style of music (which I did for 10 years) the first bass I'd buy would be a Lakland 55-94 (which I did). A lot of the Nashville studio cats use 'em. They're very versatile for country.

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I do not like their necks. Prefer a 12" - 14" radius. Also, do not like 35" scale basses. I was endorsed by Spector a while back and when they went to 35" scale I started looking. Then jumped over to Warwick. If it were a 34" I might consider it.

More Nashville guys are using Sadowsky than Lakland though.

I like the pickup configuration though. If Roger made a Modern 24-5 with this setup I would take it immediately.

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'd like to see the source of that statistic. Even if it's true, though, all the first-call guys are on Laklands.

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I'd be surprised if that were true. No matter. I have played them all and have realized that Sadowsky is IT. Just deciding on models now.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'm just nig-nagging you. I've got my 5-24 Koa top on order.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Ive owned 12 Sadowsky's all together and have 3 presently. I prefer a JJ over a soapbar model for any type of music

Rob

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'll bet you a cup of coffee those cats are showing up with a trunk full of wood and using whatever the heck the producer wants them to use.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1!

17. If it were me, I would have both a 24F and a Jazz with single coils. Oh wait, that is what I have! I think they sound very different but both work well with country (and rock, and jazz, and...). I would think you would like having the options.

Good luck!!
    Jeff

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FYI (and sorry to throw the monkey wrench at you), Michael Rhodes owns a Sadowsky ultra-vintage P-bass with PJ pickup config. But as noted by bikertrash82, who knows which of his many basses he plays in the studio!

19. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You seem to have ordered the same bass twice other than wood choice. Thats a pretty subtle difference to try to project through a live setting.

You mention Michael Rhodes...he's pretty much the daddy of the PJ5 isn't he? I have the MR model PJ5, it's all Nashville and it can project the Alder/Rosewood quality through a live mix....

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I have always liked having the same bass but several of them. Kind of like, my tone and my tone as a back up.

When I was using Wariwck I had two of the same bass for all my live stuff (FNA Jazzman's). I actually love the combination of the MM pickup (with three way switch - split coil, humbucker in series, humbucker in parallel) and the jazz pickup in the neck. Since they had swamp ash bodies I could get very close to a jazz bass tone, easily a better MM tone and with the pan pot rolled up to just the neck jazz pickup I could get a P'ish kind of tone but not quite.

I stopped playing those because the necks were too bulky and I needed wide string spacing which they do not offer with those pickups.

This pickup config has been used by everyone like Lakland, Carvin and everyone else. Not sure who did it first but this is my favorite pickup config.

Laklands are good but there are too many things I don't like about them (35" scale, the pres they use, the pickups they use, neck radius, etc.)

MAYBE, I should talk to Roger about building me a prototype. A 24-5 body and neck with a MM style pickup in the bridge and one of his jazz pickups in the neck?

Seymour Duncan makes the current soapbars for Roger and Dimarzio makes the Jazz pickups (Ultra Jazz PU's) for him. It wouldn't be hard for Seymour Duncan to make an MM with the proper string spacing. I know some people over there too. Maybe I will call them as well to make one in their Custom Shop that is wider and will fit Rogers 19mm string spacing.

That to me would be the ultimate bass AND Roger would take a lot of business from Lakland. Can you imagine how many players and session guys use the Laklands for that PU config but would kill to have it in a Sadowsky? I know I'd buy a couple in a heart beat.

I am calling Roger first thing Tuesday morning!

Mike W.