Sadowsky owners how often do you change your battery?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 31, 2004.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just curious as to how you know your battery is going on your Sadowsky and how much playing time you have had before it is time to change. Thanks
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i'll let ya know once i have to.

not yet!

3. There's a battery?

Actually, I change mine about once a year.
  4. I don't have my Sad yet, but very soon. You probably know this, but if you leave the cable plugged in your bass it will drain the battery even if it is not in use....
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Every 4 months if it needs it or not.
  6. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Once a year on my birthday every bass I own gets a new battery.
    I never forget and I also buy a new cable. I also check the battery from time to time with my highly accurate and calibrated, tried and true tongue! :spit:

Do you guys carry extra battery's
  8. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Yeah. Two.

Compared to other basses, Sadowskys are battery hogs, IME. That preamp sucks a lot of juice. I change the battery at least every 3 months, and I practice almost exclusively in passive mode. And when it quits, there is little or no warning. If you go from passive to active mode and there is no significant change in volume, you are about to lose your battery.

Also, unlike my other bass with a push/pull active/passive volume pot (Carvin), it drains the battery even in passive mode. It's not as much of a drain as active mode, but it still pulls juice. As mentioned, the only way to keep the battery from draining is to yank the cord when you're not playing. Personally, I'd rather spend money on batteries than a new output jack. :meh:

9. You must play a lot more than me. I have two Sadowsky basses and two guitars. I change the batteries about every 8-12 months on average. I always keep two 9V batteries and a philips head screwdriver in each gig bag.

I also make sure to never leave the bass 'plugged' in when I'm not playing.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't changed a battery on any of my Sadowsky basses yet.
  11. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...but that's 'cause you never keep any of them long enough!!! :D

I couldn't pass that one up. :smug:
  12. LMYAO! That is just too perfect.

I have to buy you and Nino drinks for making that line possible!
  13. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    And just to clarify, this is purely anecdotal evidence, based on a very small sample of Sadowsky basses (#3552). ;) I play an average of 15-20 hours a week (not that you could tell), with the bass sitting on the stand plugged in an additional 10 hours/wk total. When I play, volume pot is pegged.

I do think it stands to reason that they are hard on batteries though. Since the preamp is VERY active, I imagine it puts more of a strain on the battery than less robust ones. Not to be construed as a criticism. Corvettes eat more gas than Hyundais. ;) But mine (again, perhaps just mine) has not been imbued with any mystical powers. Battery consumption seems to be proportionate with preamp output. YBMMV. :cool:
  14. Yep, you play a lot more bass than I do!!! :bassist:
  15. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I appreciate this thread---as a new(er) Sadowsky owner with a lot of very important gigs and recording sessions in sight coming up I will probably err on the side of caution and change the battery every 6 weeks or so whether it needs changed or not (I play about 25 hours a week or so)...
  16. Let me know what brand you will use so I can buy stock in that company.

Every 6 weeks is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill. I don't underestimate the importance of a gig and a professional attitude but I'll bet you really could change the battery every 6 months to nearly a year and be fine.

But I guess it also may depend on how hard you drive you onboard preamp. I almost never go more than 1/2 way on bass and treble and often far less. I always play with the preamp on.
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    True :p, but I have my Natural 24 fret 5 since August 2001 & my T-Blue Vintage 4 since February 2002 & I play them ALOT!!!!!. That's a long time.
  18. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Battery life for the onboard preamp is about 850 hours. I think I have one of the most battery efficient circuits around. For the average player, this would translate to 6 months to a year. I think anything more frequent than every 6 months is overkill. The battery switch is built into the jack. I would not leave the bass plugged in overnight, but I would not worry about leaving it in for a 15 minute break on a gig. The best indicator of low battery level is an increase in distortion when playing.

Regarding "lump's" post, I think there is excessive battery drain going on and I would suggest he have his bass checked out.

PS: Battery life for the old belt-pack Outboard preamp is the same.
    Battery life for the newer Preamp/DI Pedal is 90 hours.

Thanks Roger, would that also apply to the RB5 circuit's