Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky owners: What amp/cab combo do you prefer with your Sadowsky(s)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gruuv, Jan 14, 2005.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I hope I don't get flamed by a moderator for this thread. I did a search... although I didn't get through all 500+ pages, I couldn't find anything specifically dedicated to Sadowsky owners discussing they're entire rig. I also couldn't figure out whether this should be in the "Basses" or "Amps" section, so mod's, please don't kill me, and if it needs to be moved, please do so, and accept my humble apology. I decided on "Amps," even though a Sadowsky thread in the "Basses" section may have gotten more attention. . .

That said, I'm curious as to what amps (particularly stand-alone heads) and cabinet configurations you like best with your Sadowsky(s), what kind of music you play, and what the configuration of your Sadowsky is. . .

Thanks in advance! :D

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I use my (insert bass company name I'm not allowed to post due to the NCUP) basses with an Ampeg SVT-2PRO/SVT-410HLN. I recently got on a Trade an Aguilar DB-359 that sounded pretty freaking awesome at rehearsal thru an SVT-810 but I'm going to use that with a Aguilar GS-410.

Edited to comply with the NCUP.

3. Glad you asked, and actually any bass I play through this gear sounds (French Accent ON) Superb. (accent off)

Bergantino HT/EX 112's with either a Walter Woods Ultra or Demeter 201S and Crest CA9. Also have a Berg NV610 for some O'Skoo stuff. Lot's of great gear out there have fun.

4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Although I haven't had the chance to fully "crank" it up yet, I'll be running my Sadowsky through a Demeter VTBP 201s powered by a Stewart 1.6 through a pair of Aguilar GS212's. I have little doubt about being disappointed. My guess is the Sadowsky will even sound good if you run it through one of those high end bass combos they sell at Wal-Mart (or not).

5. Hey Nino... I checked out you website. Some really kickin' tunes. Your rig and basses sound great! Keep up the good work.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have 3 Sadowsky's. Demeter pre, QSC 2402 bridged, Epifani 2x12. Spectacular

Rob

7. Which Dem Rob?

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Big, I have the silver faced 201. About 2 years old

Rob

9. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Thanks fellers... I actually don't have a Sadowsky. I'm not the most experienced player in the world, don't have lots of time under my belt, but even before I got the opportunity to play one I knew what Will Lee sounds like on Letterman. Tone for days and days. So, I've been toying with the notion of getting one for a while.

Keep it coming. . .

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thanks!!! :)

11. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
  12. My personal favorite is
    SadV5-->Aguilar 680+728-->Epifani 3x10 + Epi 2x12.
    SWEET tone but hard on the back.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm running a U5 thru a old Eden Traveler (300) into an Eden 410T, about to add an LDS 2X10 Neo for my headroom and to give me a small rig option. But I've played my metro RV5 thru some nasty stuff at jam sessions arround town, STILL SOUNDS GREAT, I had a comment in a thread a while back about how much better the amps are now from the "vintage" years and how the new amps make everything sound better. Well my Sadowsky makes not so good amps sound really good!

14. I have an Avalon U5 (in a 4 space ATA with a Tuner and a PL-PLUS) that I run straight to a console if I have good PA support (always) and good stage monitoring (almost always or I may carry my Meyer). Very easy setup wise to say the least. Fortunately, it works out that this is my rig most of the time BUT...when I know that I need a Stage rig I insist on using my own which is a 6 Space ATA carrying a PL PLUS, a tuner, a Demeter HBP-1 (which also has a very sweet DI out), and a Crest CA9 (at the suggestion of Jim Bergantino) to drive a Bergantino HT 112 and an EX 112. Very small, portable, lightweight rig, that goes anywhere, gets some pretty weird looks until I hit the first couple of notes! People can't believe the sound that comes out of this rig....

it is very impressive to say the least.....produces very accurately the tone of the bass (Sadowsky V4 #4045 NYC)but I must say that if you really want to hear exactly what your bass sounds like from the lowest to the highest notes you might also try Accugroove cabs....they are pricier and a bit heavier but they very accurately reproduce what you put into them. I have played the same Bass through the same rig into a pair of TRI-112 and then through a Whappo Jr. (I preferred the pair of Tri-112's) IMHO the Accugroove is a very HIFI reproduction (not in a bad way)of your bass....again, not in a bad way...the Bergies seem to bring out the vibe of the bass....not a bad thing either, just a different mojo....I prefer the Bergies....but for strictly studio work or for very precise solo work I would probably prefer the Accugroove.......depends on your application I guess....

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

again, Tom,

your rig continually brings a tear to my eye... :smug:

16. Aaaawwww shucks, joker....you made me blush....LOL!

It is pretty sweet though, I have to admit I am truly blessed to be able to have the things I have and to do the things I do everyday...it is like living a dream all the time...thank you lord!!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

BTW - As I recall, you have a great rig yourself...I feel a mutual tear welling up in my eye as well...

17. Tommix
    Since our rigs our so similar with the CA9 and Demeter 201s in my case, I was wondering if you are still using the Sadowsky flats on you beautiful gold Sad? I also put the Sad flats on NYC PJ4 and love them with the Bergies and WWU I use 99% of the time.
    If your still in the market for a Metro, I've got an MV4 for sale. I know before you said you wanted a 5'er but this 4 banger is nice. I'm looking for a Sad with ash/rosewood.

18. My favorite rig with the Sadowsky is the Kern pre with a PLX 3002 and until recently the HT-112/EX-112 stack. A couple of weeks ago I blew out the EX-112 and the last few gigs I did were with the HT-112 and a Schroeder 1210. I think I prefer the Bergie tonewise, but the 1210 provides better stage volume. I hear myself better and the drummers like it and the guitarist complains more.

Aloha,

JOnathan

19. Hey BigString!

Yeah, I love the flats too, best flats I have ever used, PERIOD...I find myself using the flats mostly, but I have done some sessions lately that I actually switched back to the Sadowsky Nickels (best Nickels I've ever used, PERIOD as well...but I don't care for the Sad Stainless on this Bass) depends on the material, I can get by with Flats on most things though and definiately prefer them! Funny thing you should mention a new Saddy, I am thinking about ordering a 5 JUST like number 4002 (a gorgeous Caramel/Birdseye that I special ordered from Roger and wound up having to cancel because of a health scare I had!!!)WE will see what the future holds.........

T