Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky owners, would I be blaspheming?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric426, Nov 5, 2005.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'm seriously considering replacing the neck pickup on my RV-4 with a Sadowsky P Bass pickup. Would the idea of modifying a Metro (even with a different Sadowsky pickup) be so totally outrageous that I should be flogged until I come to my senses? Whenever I go to the neck pickup I'm basically trying for a P Bass tone anyway. The NYC P/J basses are scarce and there's no way I could afford even a used one, so that's not an option.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nah. No prob.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I was thinking the same with one of my Metro's. I talked to Mike at the shop and he talked my out of it. Didnt think it made sense in many ways.

Rob

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you can do whatever you wish. its your bass! heck, if it was a mike lull, would you still be asking us? ;)

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I think the fact that Sadowsky actually make a P/J option in their NYC line pretty much answers that question - obviously there's a market for the P/J configuration, so there must be at least a few players out there who think it's a good tonal option.

But really, doesn't it come down to what you want?

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    why not?

if thats the tone you are after, then you will really enjoy the bass.

order a jazz pickguard with the p pickup rout from sadowsky as a template.

you can always change it back and even though the rout is there, you can cover it up with the original pickguard.

this might sound mad, but ultimately, sadowskys are fantastic basses that should be played... if your going to reach for it and wanna play it more by have it modified, then i would do it.

my 2cents...

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you were to put the P pickup in the proper position, you would need to have a new pickguard and you would need to move the control plate slightly. This may require some additional routing on the control cavity hole.

If you wanted to convert it back to a JJ, you would need a new p/g because the old pg will not cover the P p/u route and it will not align with the control plate that has been moved.

You can do whatever you like to your bass but that's an awful lot of work. :)

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If that what you want go for it. :bassist:

9. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Now there's a good arguement against it. I didn't realize that the control plate would have to be moved too and that makes it pretty much irreversible. All other considerations aside, I don't want to change the bass *that* much and risk losing the vibe that it's got. I sure wish they made Metros in a P/J configuration, but I can understand why they don't. Glad I asked before I got too excited about the idea. I guess I'll just save my pennies until I can afford a Metro 5 stringer. I know that's not going to sound like a P Bass either, but I'm jonesing for a second Metro that'd be different than my RV-4.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Isn't there a Metro PJ coming soon? I hope so, because I've been holding out with the speculation that they are coming. If they are in fact coming, I say hold off and pick up one of those.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I sure hope so, ideally with ultra-vintage styling and woods.

In the meantime if you really want the P, the Lull PJs are much less expensive than Sadowsky NYC ... you might like them.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes a P of some sorts is going to be available in the Metro but I can't remember if Roger said if it's going to be on a P body and/or a J body.

Alot of people on this board can build a less expensive PJ than an NYC Sadowsky. ;)

13. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    As an absolutely loving owner of a Sadowsky NYC P/J, I can totally understand why you'd be interested. See Nino's post for why it might not be advisable.

14. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Yep, he changed my mind as soon as I read it. If there*is* a Metro P or especially a P/J in ht eworks I'll gladly wait. It was just an idea anyway...

15. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    oops,

i had no idea that you might have to move the control plate too...

sorry bout that...