Sadowsky P-Bass??? Only in "Ultra Vintage"???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 20, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

does Roger only make his P basses in the larger Ultra Vintage sizing? or does he do his version of the "dinky" size, similar to how the jazz shapes are his "dinky" version.
  2. I think I remember him telling me at NAMM recently that he could make me a passive P5 with his standard or vintage body, which means an undersized Jazz shape, in ash or alder, with or without chambers to lighten it up.

I bet that would make a great bass.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Currently, the 4 string P body is offered in one size.
  4. Get PJ with the small J bass body?
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i've been meaning to get a simple P bass, but wanna stay on the Sadowsky side of the tracks.

think Roger would make me a P bass using the J neck and body? that'd be the shizz.
  6. I know what you mean. I love the passive P-bass mojo, that slurpy punchy thang and the elegant simplicity. Somehow an active PJ doesn't do it for me. I don't necessarily care for the P body or neck shape, but the passive vintage P pickup in the right spot feeding directly into a length of cable just works best for me for a lot of stuff.

I was on the verge of asking Roger to make me a passive P5, when I stumbled on Mike Tobias' P prototype, and I'm loving it and playing it every day, whenever I don't need a different sound. A Sadowsky P built on a lightweight alder jazz body would be similarly wonderful.

Good Luck,

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    Alder seems to be the magic wood for me.

i remember having a Totem Modine with a Seymore Duncan P pup that just KILLED.

a 4 banger Sad/alder P would make me mess my pants!