Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky P/J J body vs P body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Jul 6, 2005.

1. :bassist: Hello Guys I'm seriously thinking in ordering a Sadowsky built to my specs, I am a lot into P/J these days I own a P/J 4 with J body and love it all the way. I saw recently a beautifyl P/J 5 P body that I fell in love but haven't play it.
    Anyone here have played this baby's? Other than the difference in body is there any big difference in tone? playability? weight? sound? etc etc etc.
    I play always with my fingers and like to slap a lot any comments? :bassist:

Thanks
    Cheers

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO the only difference will be access to the 21st fret: it's tougher on the P body because the lower cutaway isn't as deep.

3. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    can anyone post a picture of a P/J on a P body? i hve only seen them on J bodies and have thought it would look cool on a P body for a while.

4. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    yeah that is a sweet bass... I prefer the Jazz body and maple fingerboards... I like bird's eye maple.. which I have for neck and fretboard on my blue G&L

5. I think the J body looks sleeker.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Just played that one Simon. Real cool but Ive never liked the p bass look. I prefer a j. Sexier looking, etc

Rob

8. Actually,
    I like the P Body look a lot.
    I ultimately opted for the J body from a toss of a coin. Real scientific huh!
    Regarding the tone, Roger Sadowsky says most of that comes from the fingerboard wood rather than the body.
    Why don't you go for the P now and get a J body later :cool:

9. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Oh crap.....GAS!

That bass with some TI flats and the only time I'd ever put it down would be while driving to band practice and gigs. Sometimes it's good to be poor :p

10. My Sadowsky PJ4 on a P body:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    thanks guys, PJs on P bodies do look really sweet. It looks like you have been been playing yours heaps JimS, lots of healthy played-in-ness on the fingerboard. That is one hot bit of wood. (That J is not a bad looker either).

It looks to me like the access to the highest fret is about the same on both basses, which is pretty cool.

More gas...

12. :D

I agree. I think the only functional differences are the routes for the controls (in a line on the J; curved on the P) and the P body has a symmetical bottom which means it won't tip to one side as easily as a J if rests on the floor leaning against a wall, speaker cab, etc.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am hoping that my next Sadowsky will be a P/J 5, and I am also trying to decide between the P or J body styles. I am quite torn at the moment. It may come down to what bodies are available in what woods when I am ready to order.

Tom.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Although not a P body guy, I personally think that the P's look much better in both the four and five string for the P?J set up. I'm not sure how well they would fit compared to a J body. And neck profile on fours I'm a J guy all they way. Tom your 24 fret 5 has a GREAT neck with easy access up high, way cool.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks! I like the feel of that neck a lot, and if possible, I'd like to get the same neck on a P/J 5. I wonder if they would do one on the 24F body and neck?

16. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    IMO, You won't find them very different in terms of tone and weight. You should contact Roger regarding the neck size, the 4 string Sads have different necks (although you can get a P with a J neck and viceversa). Ask him if the 5 string basses have the same neck.

In the looks department, I have never liked the PJ look on a J body, but you should make your decition based on which body is more confortable for you.

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I always thought that a P/J setup look better on a P body

18. Fuzzbass

In the last photo posted by Jim S., looks to me that the lower cutaway is nearly one fret deeper on the J-bass than the P-bass. (shrug!)

19. Fuzzbass

I've always been a P-bass guy for looks and tone. In fact my P5 doesn't even have a J!

[​IMG]