Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky P/J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Jan 9, 2002.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I just found a beautiful Vintage P/J 4-string with rosewood board. It should be here Friday for me to check out.

I've had several Sadowsky's in the past and love the feel and the construction, but for whatever reason, I found the J/J setup to be a bit thin on the D & G strings, so I figure the P/J will fatten things up a bit, and the rosewood board will be a bit warmer than the maple also.

I'm interested to hear comments about the Sadowsky P/J from those of you that play one.

Also, do you like the Vintage look over the modern?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Hey Berklee,
    I'm in the Boston area as well. If you ever want to part with that bass let me. I am curious about them as well. Maybe we can work a trade?

I haven't tried one yet, but people seem to love 'em.

Ken
    kpo2000@yahoo.com

3. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hey Ken,
    Nice to see another local guy out there. I'll let you know how things work out when it gets here Friday.
    I'm sure the quality will be great, I just hope the P/j sound and the vintage look for work me.

The seller was kind enough to give me a 24 hour approval, since he doesn't *need* to sell this, so if it doesn't work for me, he'll probably hold onto it.

I'll keep you posted though.
    Scott

4. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Berklee... I just received my Sadowsky PJ-5 last week... I haven't had a chance to try it out on a gig yet, but I love it so far... I also own a Vintage 5 and think it sounds great too... They're both a nice contrast... The Vintage 5 with the jazz pickups and ash body.. The PJ-5 with an alder body... Both have rosewood boards... Best of luck with the new arrival... Steve....

5. I have played two Sadowsky PJs: they blew my socks off! One was a PJ5 alder + rosewood and a PJ4 alder + ebony. I loved Roger's PJ so much I ordered a custom Sadowsky PJ alder + rosewood last night!

I've owned mostly jazz basses (had P bass in college) but was surprised how great the Sadowsky P-width neck feels. I've played P basses before but this felt great. It's going on my PJ.

I have a Sadowsky swamp ash jazz bass with maple board (pics in link below) and love it. I don't have the problem you seem to have. Nevertheless, it's my only bass and the PJ sounded different and fun enough that I wanted to go for it.

6. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Berklee,
    Thanks. Keep me in mind. I have a Sadowsky VJ4 and I love it, but have been curious about the Pj4 and the Ultra Vintage 4 (which no one seems to have tried yet).

Cheers,
    Ken

7. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I will be picking it up at Fed Ex Friday morning, so I'll post something here when I have it in my grubby little paws.