Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky P pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by got2getbetter, Jun 20, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of swapping out the stock pickup in my '78 p (maple fb and not sure about the body) and was wondering what the Sadowsky P replacement pickup sounded like. I'm looking at the Nordstrand NP4 as well, but the since the sadowsky's much cheaper I was curious. I'm looking for a pickup along the lines of the fralin/nordstrand pup's - vintagey with a little more articulation, openness, output, etc.

Any Input?

Also, I'll be keeping it passive and running straight into my amp (Ashdown mag300, Aguilar gs212)

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    This is a bit old but,

any thoughts, i'm wondering the same things as the orginal poster...

thanks

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the Sadowsky P is a bit more polite than the Nordstrand. It might be what you're looking for, or not.
    At basstasters.com there are sound clips of a sadowsky p/j bass.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey David... any thoughts on how the Sad and Nord Ps compare in terms of 'grind' vs 'thump'? For example, my Dimarzio Model P-loaded '75 Precision falls in the grind category (to my ears, of course), while a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (same strings and woods, but not 30 yrs old) was more thumpy, with slightly warmer / less prevalent highs and mids.

Both sound great, but are different. I preferred the DiMarzio overall (though not in all situations), partly because I preferred the slap-sound I got from it vs the Fralin-loaded Glaub... more of what I like in a slapped P-sound, like the sound Ready Freddy Washington got on Forget Me Nots... make any sense?

So... any sense of whether the Sad or Nord P is more like the Forget Me Nots tone when slapped? Or they're both fine/great, which is probably the case... :p

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Greg,
    as you say, the DM P is definitely in the Grind category.

The Sad is closer to the Nord than the DM. I'd say the Sad is 'nicer' and more polite sounding than the Nord, the Nord is really a vintage plus sound. While I thought the Sadowsky was Ok, I think the Nordy is great.
    There are some sound clips around I made with a '62 RI P bass with a Nord P pickup, think I uploaded them here.
    edit: yes I did, here's the link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128890

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

FYI, played a New Sadowsky Vintage P bass a little over a month ago at their shop. The bass had the Lollar pickup in it. Sounded amazing with the Sad pre and passive. Dont hesitate

Rob

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    interesting, the older p/j's had duncans (to sadowksy specifications) in them iirc. I'm sure the lollars will sound great.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea, David. I think on this one they were experimenting. I really liked it. Almost enough to buy it. I think Willie Weeks beat me to it. It was a beautiful looking and sounding instrument.
    here is the link http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/4415.html

Rob

10. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I was planning on purchasing a Sadowsky P/J set soon.

Does anyone know when the new P pickups will replace the old ones? Also, what kind of difference in tone is there between the two?

11. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Glad to see Jason Lollar get some love...his j pickups are amazing. He also has a pickup in an "original" p style here:

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/4364.html

He's a great guy, you can talk right to him on the phone, tweak your pickups this way or that...
    Not sure about bassists, but a few of his guitar clients are:
    Duke Robillard, Pete Droge, Robert Randolph, Jerry Douglas (Alison Kraus)
    I'd love to see his name circulated around here...I have his j's in two basses, and I'll never give them up!

shawn