Sadowsky P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rimas, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try out the Ultra Vintage P, and if so, what they thought of the pickups and electronics in general. Im inquiring with roger about getting a preamp installed in my Fender MIA right now, but want to get some feedback on what you guys think.

Nino, maybe you could give me some input here, since Rogers out of the shop. What do you think of the P?
  2. I have a Sadowsky PJ4. The solo'd P pickup sounds great in passive or active mode (with Roger's preamp).
  3. I am running both of my 4 strings (a Geddy Lee jazz and an Essex P bass) through the Sadowsky outboard preamp and it makes them both sound amazing (Geddy $500 used, Essex $129 new, preamp $200 = $829) Save yourself about $2000 on a new Sadowsky and have two basses to boot that sound awful close to "the real thing".

I think the preamp is worth the $$$ but I am one of the few dissenters around here that don't think the basses are worth the huge investment. I bought a Sadowsky standard 5 that had a pretty significant dead spot and traded it off for Lakland that does not, and sounds better.

Keep you MIA Fender, install the preamp or get the outboard, use the left over cash for a killer amp rig.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I have a pj4 myself and love the tone. I can got a nice j growl and a p thump from it. I also own a Sadowsky di/preamp floor pedal. Do yourself a favor and pick one up. Your passive basses will love it! The vintage P will have a wider width at the nut than you are used to. If you like the Jbass taper, any Precision will feel quite wide to you. Best of luck and any Sadowsky product rules!!!:D

5. Rob makes a good point. The floor model is cost efficient if you get more than one bass that you would want to run into the Sadowsky preamp.

And I echo Rob's sentiments on the Sadowsky PJ4. Very cool versatile bass.