Sadowsky P5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just saw this beauty on the Sadowsky site. Just give me some time to get some expenses out of the way! I will get a Sadowsky one day!
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Absolutely love mine. Nice light weight, sexy playability, and the tone absolutely kills when amplified by my "faux SVT": Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp and Bergantino NV610.

I've posted this pic a lot but I can't help myself:
  3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I always wondered if Roger would build me one completly passive?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I wouldent be suprised if he would, ask him. :bassist:
  5. Fuzzbass

Mine has the vintage tone control: pull it out, and the bass goes into passive mode. But yeah, the preamp and extra knobs are still there...
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

I used to own a NYC 4 string, and the passive mode wasn't exactly the "real" passive sound. Roger still call it a fail safe option, not really a passive mode. Probably the biggest reason I sold it. Back then he didn't have the passive tone, might be very different today!
  7. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm with you Yvon. I had a Standard 4 a few years back and even in passive mode it still sounded very bright (even with flats); but then again, that model is not supposed to be a vintage-sounding bass to begin with and actually their high fidelity is what they are praised for.

I think that is exactly why the VTC was introduced.

I guess that ordering an all-passive bass should an option, too. :confused:
  8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I just received an E-mail from Kevin at Sadowsky here's the answer....

Al Sadowsky basses use passive pickups and the preamp can be bypassed. However we will not build a bass without our preamp installed.
  9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I know that everybody knows about Sadowsky costumer service, they took them about 1 hour to reply this E-mail!!
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Pulling up the pot makes the bass completely passive, and if you have the VTC you can also roll off the highs. There are not really shades of grey when it comes to an active/passive switch. If it works without the battery installed, its passive.

Do you mean it just didn't sound like a Fender? A sad has different pickups, woods (sometimes), and hardware, so its never going to sound quite the same. I LOVE the sound of my RV5 in passive mode!
  11. Fuzzbass

I would describe my P5 as bright even in passive mode... that's one reason I put my freebie Elixirs on it (they sound a bit warmer than uncoated rounds). As you noted, the signature Sadowsky sound is hi-fi, so I didn't expect mine to sound just like a Fender. The additional clarity is especially welcome down low: mine just has the one split-coil pickup, but even low notes on the B string are nicely defined. That said, my P5 has lots of P-ness... err, P-bass-ness. I can get it nice and chunky thru the rig pictured above.
  12. Those P5's are sweet.

I have a nice PJ5 alder/rw and it's a superb sounding bass.

I have Sadowsky SS Flats on it, with the taperwound B. It gives me an ideal, old school sound.

I'm in the middle of recording a Latin CD on my PTHD accel rig, and this bass has sounded just awesome on the tracks we've done, passive with 75% P pickup into a Aguilar DB-680 and a touch of compression with an old LA-4 and then into the Digidesign I/O.

13. You and me both brother! We will conquer SAS!!!

How are the Sadowsky B's? Are they nice'n'tight? Or floppy?
  14. Haha, Fuzzbass, thanks for almost making me spit my water out on my computer! Good to know you're happy with your p-ness though.
  15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I just dove into the Brooklyn waters myself!
  16. Attached Files:

17. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Joey, your natural 5 looks great. The grain is just outstanding. You don't have to tell me how good it sounds.
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    "Nice" doesn't begin to cover it, Jonathan!!! That is a beauty, and very close to what I would order if I were to plunk $500 down on Sadowsky #2! ;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Rockin the Salmon bass, enjoy. :bassist:
  20. Fuzzbass

What a cool picture! It's easy to see how much you're diggin' your beautiful P5. And yeah, P-basses and Ampeg go together so well. :)