Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Pedal straight into a Power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I play a Celinder passive jazz and really want the Sadowsky preamp sound without any other coloration. Will it work to run my Celinder into the Sadowsky DI pedal straight into a power amp? Has anyone tried this? Will it drive the power amp?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Most DI's will drive a power amp okay, but it depends on the power amp's input sensitivity. In general, DI's are meant to run into a mixer, but ssome power amps have the ability to be driven to proper power levels with a smaller signal that the DI will put out. The ony REAL way to tell is to try it.

3. I used to run an Aguilar db924 outboard pre (I hear it is similar to the Sadowski pedal) into my QSC USA900 power amp. It worked well and gave me the volume I needed but it did not drive the power amp to full power. Worked good enough for me.

I did occasionally use a Rane graphic EQ between the pedal and amp to add gain and that did drive the power amp fully.

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I may try the Sadowsky and see what happens, or maybe I will buy a reasonably price line driver to boost the signal a little...

5. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    I did a live recording last night where I played through a Tech-21 Sansamp and sent the output to the recording rig and the poweramp of my stage amp - worked great.

Dunno if this helps.

Text_Edifice

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

me thinks the pedal might not push enough signal. why not an Avalon U5 as a transparent pre?

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to use an Avalon U5 as a preamp into a power amp. It is great - it's also heavey, bulky and 3 times as much as the Sadowsky - which is a nice preamp/DI pedal.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am wanting the tone of the Sadowsky preamp more thananything else. I may try a Running a Sadowsky Pre into a Demeter VTDB-2B Tube DI, click the boost setting and run the boosted "tubey" Sadowsky sound into a power amp...anyone tried this?

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I think you email Roger on this one.

I understand that a Sansamp can be run into a power amp if modified, to get its full capability. I understand that the Sadowsky cannot be modded as such.

I have the Sadowsky pedal and I ran it through a power amp at a gig when my head failed. It was a 250 watt power amp and I had it cranked full on, with the pedal full on, and the preamp boost on my bass full on. I'm not loud on stage, and this improvised setup sounded like a 50 watt combo pushed hard. It worked. It saved the gig, but it wasn't worth pursuing.

I'd email Roger Sadowsky and ask him. As for Sadowsky Outboard premaps, they are integral piece in my signal chain. I have the older belt clip and the floor pedal. I just love what they do to my sound.