Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SADOWSKY PJ 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimS, Dec 30, 2001.

1. I just got a Sadowsky PJ 4 from Roger's in-stock inventory. It's an alder body, vintage style, with an ebony board, P-width neck.

1. This is the most finger and hand friendly neck I have ever played. I've tried lots of basses and this thing is amazing. Sure, it's the standard P width but the carve of the neck and radius of the fingerboard: it's almost magical!

2. This is perhaps the most beautiful sounding bass I have played. An incredible combination of punch, clarity, and definition with a full woody musical sound. I have never heard a bass sound this remarkable. I thought it would be hard to impress me since I got my Sadowsky jazz swamp ash + maple board bass about two years ago. This PJ4 sounds different but truly inspiring and arguably the definitive bass ear candy. I've played vintage '50s Fender P, Lakland, Fodera PJ4 Monarch, etc, etc. None of those came close to this bass. It's similar to Whooten's* tone on "A Show of Hands" but with more rapid attack and pop. Less midrange but than can be adjusted from the amp.

I had played and swooned over a Sadowsky PJ5 earlier this year which had an alder body but Brazilian rosewood board (BRW). If memory serves me correctly, PJ5 BRW sounded a bit warmer but this PJ4 sounds more focused and clearer....I think this is what one would expect from ebony vs rosewood.

*I would not be so grotesque as to compare my playing to Whooten; I've always like the tone on that CD

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Cool, can you post any pics of your sadowsky's? That would be nice :D

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats!!!!! Merry belated Christmas present to yourself. :)

I can't wait till my 4 string is done!!!!

I wonder when Jeff Rader's 5 is gonna be ready.

4. I recently picked up a Sadowsky PJ4 vintage. Mine was used but very clean, and is an unfortunate Burgundy Mist (pimpmobile pink) with a rosewood board.

It is the best sounding and playing bass I've ever tried. I prefer it to the standard JJ4 with maple neck that I have. It's warmer, but equal in punch.

I will be upgrading to a new one with a tint over quilt body when occasion permits.

Congratulations and Happy New Year from Maui.

Aloha,

Jonathan

5. Here's a pic of the PJ4 from Sadowsky's website. It's a made-for-stock bass. I love the tone and feel but I may be a total pig, send it back, and custom order the bass with the same set up and woods except have Roger put on one of his premium quilt tops. But this bass does sound quite remarkable. Tough decision.

[​IMG]

6. Jim,

Congratulations! It's beautiful!

According to Roger, by the end of January.

Jeff

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When I ordered my 4 string, I was torn between a fancy quilt top or if I should leave it plain. I'm still thinking about it & I ordered the bass in October. ;) I deceided to go w/a trans-blue on an ash body, vintage style, (leaving the p/g off bacause I might want a white one, clear one or none @ all.), it'll have the chrome control plate, maple neck w/maple fretboard, I beleive I chose the single coil p/u's (don't remember. LOL)

I tried to keep it a simple/plain as possible since my Spector's & my Warmoth 5 have all the frills. ;)

8. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Congrats on the Sadowsky and Happy New Year everybody... I have my Sadowsky PJ-5 coming later this week.. It's the one on the site #3689, but now with gold hardware... I can't wait... I just wish I had it for my New Years gig tonight, but I should have it for the weekend.... Steve....

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That's a great-looking bass, Jim....keep it!

Y'know, I've always been a sucker for the mega-quilt tops and the goodies myself. Lately though, I've really started to sit up and take notice of high-quality, nicely executed instruments with a more reserved look. I imagine my next purchase will be along that line. Yours is a fine example of that.

Kind of like the Wolf-In-Sheep's-Clothing thing.