Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky PJ5 at a Funk Gig Last Night! WOW!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 14, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Holy cow this thing rocks. This is the loner bass Roger sent me while mine is being refinished. It is Ash/Maple while mine is Alder/Morado.

When I got this bass and plugged it in at home I wasn't hugely impressed. However, I did a funk/disco gig last night and HOLY CRAP this bass KILLS! :eek:

I played at least 80% of the set with the balance rolled all the way to the P pickup. Tons of booty and low mids. Highs were nice. At home and at our studio the bass sounded a little woofy especially since I am use to soaps or J's. Not last night though!

My big concern is that my fingers always sound low. By that I mean my fingers, for whatever reason, sound bassier than other people who play my basses. So, I had the Bass on the Sad at about 40% and the Treble at about 50%. Most Sad owners have said they run it just the opposite.

This bass is Ash/Maple and mine (that I haven't played yet) is Alder/Morado which means it'll be even lower and warmer. That MIGHT not work for me. I am thinking it'll be too low for fingers and ears.

Morado (also known as Pau Ferro) is suppose to be brighter than Rosewood though. It'll be interesting to see when it comes back on a few weeks.

BUT, this thing KICKS BOOTY. Everyone had their jaws on the floor. Really had the 70's funk/disco vibe. I ran a very simple setup. Sadowsky PJ5 ----> SansAmp Programmable DI with blend at 50% to keep the Sads tone ----> Demeter Compulator ----> EBS Bass IQ ----> Radial JDI Duplex DI Box ----> One line going to FOH and the other going to an Eden WT-1000 poweramp powering an Eden D410XLT.

The lows mids on the D410XLT are bumped so it sounded a bit woofy BUT the FOH was OFF THE HOOK!!! I can see why some guys like the flat cabs like Accugroove (which I am trying in a few weeks).

Overall, it was just insane. Played four sets and during the breaks I couldn't put it down and wanted the next set to begin.
    Score? FIVE OUT OF FIVE! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Haven't tried it yet but I bet this thing would kill on a Classic Rock type gig (Foreigner, Allman Brothers, Kansas, etc.).

BY REQUEST - - - THE LOANER PJ5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

***EDIT - Additional Info***
    I have just been reading about Morado aka Pau Ferro. Morado and Pau Ferro ARE NOT Rosewoods at all AND several manufacturers of necks say that Morado/PauFerro is for players who like the brightness of maple but a darker neck wood color. Apparently, it is about as bright as Maple and nothing like Rosewood.

If this is the case, then my Alder/Morado is just like having an Alder/Maple. If this is true then it might be bright enough for me afterall. Have to wait and see (still haven't played mine yet).

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Do you have any soundclips of the gig? It woulld be fun to hear the bass and you play.

3. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    That's funny. I have the same fingers. Glad it's working for you; maybe you should hang on to this one too. :)

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    BigMike, as you may recall, I have a Sad PJ4, and you have hit it on the head wrt the Allman Brothers. I am in a band that does In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. I roll the pickup selector to the P pickup a moderate amount, I take a little of the treble off the VTC, and go to town. It sounds fantastic, and you're right about why I use the Accgroove, by the time it comes out of the Aguilar head, I want nothing screwing with the tone.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Yeah, I played the DB750 yesterday and loved it. And that was through an Aggie 412 cab. I may get a DB659 pre. Going to try the El Whappo and maybe the Whapp Jr. soon.

No. Sorry. I am going to record samples of the Ash/Maple PJ5, my Alder/Morado PJ5, my Ash/Ebony JJ5 and a Moder 24 with soaps. I'll let you know when I finish. About a month or so from now.

6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    +2
    Hi,
    the same here!

Mo'

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mike:

It doesn't sound like that bass is the one for you. I'd send it back, and I think maybe it needs a detour through scenic Fremont, Ohio! :p

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    +3 ! everytime someone plays one of my basses, they seem to get a brighter tone, a "better" tone almost- i have bitten my fingernails since childhood- i know, it's a horrible habit- i can't seem to stop it- the result is fingers that have very little "click" on the strings ( no nails)- so my "finger eq" is really kinda bassy... ;)

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You mean you guys let someone else play your bass!?!? :D

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Now see, being a long time pick player (lots of rock and metal) I have never used my finger nails. But wouldn't that sound TOO clanky?

I just dialed up the treble more than the bass. Worked for me.

UH? NO!!! :rollno: I may buy this Ash/Maple that Roger let me borrow and sell the one of a kind Midnight Wine PJ5 I own.
    [​IMG]

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Roing!!!

It may come as no surprise to you that I might be interested in that bass if you do sell it! :D

Tom.

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I think you should keep it, because you never know when the darker/mellower tone will come in handy. :smug:

Mike, I'm glad you like the bass. Even if it is a loaner, Roger might just let you keep it (for a nominal fee, of course). Next time you ask Roger to lend you a bass though, don't be surprised if he says no! ;)

I need to measure my own bass and hopefully get ahold of a Sadowsky P/J set, it reads like they sound awesome!

13. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    After checking out the basstasters site I am totally obsessed with getting a Sad PJ4 or 5 for that matter.
    Those samples to me sound like a bass should sound, to me. :)

So, who's got one they want to sell? :D

-ET

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

The VTC control can do that. I just have fat, bassy sounding fingers! :D

If I am rolling UP the treble more than the bass on an Ash/Maple then an Alder/Morado MIGHT NOT work for me. But we'll see.

15. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Mike, what are the pickup sizes for your P/J5?

According to Sadowsky.com, both J5 p/ups are the same as the bridge J4 size. It doesn't mention anything about the P pick-up though, does anyone know if the actualy size is bigger on the five or if it just has more pole pieces?

My bass has a J 3 and 5/8 inches long for the bridge p/up, and a P that seems to be 3 and 11/16 inches long.

*Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread, but you're watching this one now and it allows me to ask the question without yet another Sadowsky thread*

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Glad it made the gig fantastic, Mike. Glad u joined the club. Keep rockin' and keep in touch

Rob

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

LOL When I joined the club I bought two within about a month! Do I get double points?

Regarding tone. I have just been reading about Morado aka Pau Ferro. Morado and Pau Ferro (the same wood) ARE NOT Rosewoods at all AND several manufacturers of necks say that Morado/PauFerro is for players who like the brightness of maple but a darker neck wood color. Apparently, it is about as bright as Maple and nothing like Rosewood.

If this is the case, then my Alder/Morado is just like having an Alder/Maple. If this is true then it might be bright enough for me afterall. Have to wait and see (still haven't played mine yet).

18. Is this the new P-shaped bass with the P pickguard that he's building? I have a decent jones for one of those... would go nicely with my Maple/Ash Vintage 5...

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Coming soon to a movie theatre near you : Sadowsky goes to Hollywood, Sadowsky Begins, Thelma and Sadowsky, Return of the Sadowsky, Four Sadowskys and a Sadowsky...

20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned both Sadowsky's, one with a Maple board and one with a Morado board, and I can tell you that the Maple has more sizzle if that makes sense, so I'd say that the Maple would be brighter. I personally preferred the tone of the Morado board better, and remember, it's easier to adjust the treble eq all the way up and have that flexibilty to go back down in need be. I struggled to get all the tones I wanted out of the Maple board Sad and I found that I wanted to roll off the treble more but couldn't. Stay with the Morado if you want one to be able to cover it all.