Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky PJ5 Loaner Bass... a loaner no longer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I am in love with the Sadowsky PJ5's. Far more so then the JJ5's, this is MY tone. It is incredibly versatile.

So, Roger was nice enough to sell me the PJ5 he loaned me while MY Midnight Wine bass was being refinished. Now I have two and couldn't be happier. The tones are very similar but different enough to make me want them both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am also going to have Roger and staff make me an extra pickguard for each routed for a J. That way I can swap them out quickly should I need a J.

I am also already thinking of having Roger build me another PJ5. I think that Alder/Ebony would be the absolute perfect combination. Getting giddy just thiking about an all black, lightweight alder body, no dot ebony board, black pearolid pickguard and reverse PJ config AND an extra pickguard with a neck J.

Anyway, Thanks Roger. I love both of these. I found MY sound!

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Cool dude. Glad you nailed down the instrument for u

Rob

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Nice basses! :)

Can you explain why, for you, the PJ setup is better than the JJ? I know they're both sweet!

Thanks,
    Marshall

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Sweet bass Mike. I've always dug that particular burst on Sadowskys.

My PJ5 is olympic white Alder with a Brazilian board. It's a killer bass.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

For me, the P pickup really adds some Mid Presence and Mid "meat" that the J can't quite do. Also, it get a real P tone solo'd. The PJ5's have more growl than the J's, at least these two are. There is sldo more bottom end thump. The high's arent' as sizzling but I like that. Very balanced tone. Just awesome.

7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I think we could have predicted you'd be keeping that stunner Mike... congrats. Incredible looking bass.

-AJ

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice! I gotta get me one of those P/J 5's! :D

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I know. I got the bug bad now!

BTW, I am trading the Marcus to that guy with the quilted Modern 24.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Gorgeous Mike, The same top as my J/J I figure you'll also be buying Hugh McDonalds P/J thats up on the site right now. Why have two when you can have three?

11. Wow! Those are both stunning basses.

I've been recording a CD this week with my Sadowsky PJ5, alder/rw strung with Sadowsky SS flats, and it's the perfect tone for soulful R&B, very old school with a controllable edge.

Aloha,

Jonathan

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    So do you prefer the poles for the A string to be closer to the neck or closer to the bridge? Both basses are cool, but I think I like the daker one better. What's the exact name of that color?

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    LOL Nah, I don't like Rosewood at all. Not enough high end. The Morado (aka Pau Ferro) has a lot more brightness than Rosewood but not as much as Ebony and not NEARLY as much as maple.

No, I think I am going to start looking at building some custom one's with Roger. Alder/Ebony looks to be the perfect combination for me. We'll see what happens over the next year.

I love the Ebony on the Marcus I have. I am trading that to a guy for a Sadowsky 24-5 Modern with a 5A quilt top.

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I like this Reverse P setup. I am going to switch the P pickup in the maple one around. I like the B, E and A string pole pieces closer to the bridge like the other one.

That color is Midnight Wine. The only Sadowsky to ever be sprayed in that color, but probably not for long.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I got a bad case of GAS for a Sad PJ5.

I like the 'Midnight Wine' one, but I would probably get black on black w/ebony f/b.

16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I hear ya. That is probably going to be the next one.

Just not sure on J body or P body. It'll be like one of these but Reversed P, Black Pearloid guard and an extra pickguard with a J cut. Tough call. Right now, I'd have to go with the P body but the J body is so comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man you got the bug bad, no kidding. You got 2 Sads and now you want three! or more?

I understand the love: I got my 5-24 and is just the only and last bass I will ever need. I'm in the studio recording right now with my main band, and I just can't believe what comes out of this bass. I just perfect, straight to the board, boost the bass and treble a hair, and it stills comes out with the most balanced and clear mids. Every note is clear, even mixed with a 10-piece band. It just incredible. I brought some other basses the first day of recording and after the first song, there was simply no question that the Sad sounded 1000% better than anything else.

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

No, I have three NOW. LOL Trading a JJ for Modern 24-5 and THEN maybe next year looking at another PJ5.

I am uncontrollable :bag:

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I hear ya, brother! :p

20. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas