Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky PJ5 reversed VS. JJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jun 5, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Tell me what you think.

PJ5 Reveresed, alder body and Morado

Vs.

JJ5 Ash/Maple

I have a chance to buy a used PJ5 reversed P in Alder/Morado. Here's the one I can buy

I was going to order a JJ5 in Ash/Maple.

Wondering what the differences would be in tone. Trying to get an idea of what to expect out of the PJ5 if I buy it. I know what the JJ5 on Ash/Maple sounds like.

Which is punchier, brighter, growlier, more agressive, which has a tighter sound, which is warmer, which has a better sounding B string, etc...

Thanks

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would personaly go with swamp ash/ maple on the reverse P on the PJ5 all around better clarity sustain and attack for a 5 string in my opinion.

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Sorry what I meant to say is this.

I have a chance to buy a used PJ5 reversed P in Alder/Morado.

I was going to order a JJ5 in Ash/Maple.

Wondering what the differences would be in tone. Trying to get an idea of what to expect out of the PJ5 if I buy it. I know what the JJ5 on Ash/Maple sounds like.

Which is punchier, brighter, growlier, more agressive, which has a tighter sound, which is warmer, which has a bette soundign B string, etc...

Thanks,

4. MAJOR METAL

Oh i thought either would be custom built for you. In my expirence i would go with the JJ set up . They both have the same preamp so you will allways get the Sadowsky warmth in your tone. Brighter and growlier is tottaly present in the Swamp Ash/Maple wood combo your not going to get the same effect with the morado and alder combo.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Doesn't Michael Rhodes and Mike Bergnardello use the PJ5's? Alder or Ash for those cats?

6. MAJOR METAL

Yeah i know their are PJ5 players but i am not sure of their wood combo.

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I'd trade my MTD for it! Wish I'd sn it before I bought the 535. Personally, I think that just might be the perfect bass. At least for me. I've always wanted a reversed PJ5.

And I dig the color and the Morado board. I've never really cared for maple boards. Had a 24-Fret in Swamp Ash/Maple. Way too bright and growly for me.

And I agree with Major M on this one. For what you seem to want, this probably won't do it for you. Now me, OTOH.....

dcr

8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    LOL!

I play modern country and rock. I like some bite but this bass is very tempting.

Could be that I am Jonsing for a Sadowsy and don;t want to wait. Hell, I know if I bought it I doubt I'd lose money on it.

9. MAJOR METAL

Mike

What color ideas do you have?.

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

For what?

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think that bass looks sick, sick, SICK! I'd have gone PJ if they offered it on Metros. I think the alder mordao basses sound warm and balanced, ash basses are harder sounding, stringier sounding, and I usually prefer alder (though I like ash on a p bass). I always prefer a rosewood or morado board. And that is a really cool, really unique color.

You're inching closer and closer to paralysis through analysis ... if it were me, I'd bite on that sweet PJ and give it a spin. You can always resell. I think I told you that one of those tracks you like really sounded like a P pickup to me ...

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you buy it used and don't like it, you can sell it for just about the same amount you bought it for, if not more.

The bass looks killer.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :D

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    You are right. I am buying it!!! Just want to find out from Roger or Kevin how much it weighs.

Nino when did Roger start chambering the alder bodies? This is a late 2002 bass.

Also, is PJ5 considered a custom, as in does it cost more to get a PJ5 than JJ5?

If everything goes right I should have it here by Friday.

15. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Hey, Mike -

I've owned two PJ5's - one alder/rosewood, the other ash/maple, both since sold. I really liked both, particularly when I first got them, but as time went on, I found that they were not as flexible for my application (playing in a largish church through the PA 95% of time) as I wanted. I currently prefer my ash/maple Metro with JJ config. Here's why:

If I'd been playing country or pop-rock through an amp, the PJ5, particularly the alder/rosewood version, would have been perfect. Great low end thump, and I think the reversed P config works well to tighten up the B-string a little. I'm not much for the P-bass sound myself, but the PJ would do that fairly well with the bridge p/u rolled off... not quite as well as a real P but close enough. But since I don't use that tone much, I prefer the JJ.

We play lots of different styles of music at church (pop, jazzy, Latin, Celtic/Irish...) and the JJ config seems to be more flexible to me than the PJ. I can get a little more definition and snap from it with the two p/u's blended, while the PJ blended down the middle seemed to have almost too much low end and not enough definition, kind of pillowy. I also like to turn the blend to the bridge pickup just a bit sometimes, particularly for Irish/Celtic type 3/4 or 12/8 tunes to get that nasal bridge p/u tone, and that just seems to be easier to get to with the JJ. The PJ never did that quite as well.

YMMV, obviously, and tone issues are very subjective, I think. My ears even change from day to day - one day I can pick one of my basses up and think it sounds just so great, and the next week it doesn't sound nearly as good for some reason. The reality is that most of the people listening (my wife, for instance) can't tell the difference at all - all these small sonic differences are kinda lost on them.

So if we're fortunate enough to score any of these high end basses nowadays that feels right in our hands, plays easily, and can make the sounds we hear in our head, we are blessed indeed!

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 EXACTLY what I was thinking. I don't think you stand to lose much if you don't like it.

I also think a reversed PJ5 is a heck of a setup I'd LOVE to try. WOW! :eek:

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Yeah, I definitely like the JJ Ash/Maple thing BUT I can't pass this up. It is worth trying. If I don't end up liking it in the end I but there are at least a few guys on here that would want it.

So, I agree with Nino that I could get my money back (I wouldn't sell it for more than I paid for it - just me).

What do you all think I should pay for it, or what would you pay for it (fair price)?

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Mike, I had a pj4 which was awesome. For some dumb reason I traded it(straight across for a JJ5) Wish I hadn't. I'd say go for both. Order a standard JJ5, pretty top and buy the used pj5. Awesome and good luck. Keep in touch

Rob

19. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The PJ will have a much greater presence in the 200-700 hz area.

The VJ will sound somewhat more modern, scooped and compressed. It wil be much fatter and rounder but will somehow manage to acomplish that without getting muddy or boomy.

The pj will sound better through a flat ACME style cabinet or a PA without tweaking

The VJ will sound better through a voiced cabinet as they tend to have a little bump around where the ash/maple falls down a little.

The PJ's natural voice will be old school but you can eq modern tone out of it without a lot of heartache.

The VJ's natural voice will be modern and smooth but you will be able to eq old school out of it without a lot of heart ache

The pj will be more versitile.
    The VJ is much more of a one trick pony but it is one hell of a trick.

Both have world class B strings in both sound and feel.
    The VJ is clearly a better B if the P is in the standard configuration. When the P is reversed....it's a way closer race.
    The VJ B will get deeper before it gets muddy but if you like a lot of bark and growel in your low notes....I find the PJ to be a pretty clear winner.

Both are capable of slap sounds that are so good it's actually distracting at times in that you can get so into the sound of the thing that you can forget to go to the bridge with the rest of the band.

If I was going to back a female modern country act....I'd probably go with the VJ as having a more natural voicing for what I hear comming out of Nashville these days.

But since I already have both.... :D :D (neener, neener)

On gigs where it was small and not fully reinforced I'd be using a voiced cabinet and the VJ.

On gig's that where fully reinforced I'd be using a reference cabinet and the PJ because that thing is just un-f'ing-believable through about 30Kw worth of EAW PA.

Disclaimer:
    My VJ is older with Single coil's and nothing in the neck but wood. I don't know how that would compare to a VJ with Humbuckers and graphite.

My PJ does have the new neck.

The VJ experience is for me only about a week old so I'm still evaluating but The VJ Definatly sounds better with a voiced cabinet and the PJ definatly sounds better through a reference cab. I am sure of that. It's pretty in you face.

If the house was on fire and I could only grab one on the way out the door......the PJ.... but that may just be sentiment because we've been riding together for a while now. I know the guy that hands me my money every night would much rather I grabbed the VJ.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Very interesting post, Biker!