1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky PJ5 Sound Samples

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Apr 28, 2006.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have had a bunch of people asking for samples of what my two PJ5's sound like so here they are.

One problem, I cut my left index finger really deep last night. The slice is almost exactly where the string touches my finger in normal palying position. SO, if my timing is a bit off or I am a little sloppy cut me a little slack. By the time I finished the last track finger was really sore. Won't be palying for a few days. The things I do for people. Geesh. :rolleyes:

Ok, I do not slap so this is all finger style. I have a very simple groove that I play anytime I try a bass out. It is just a good reference point for me to hear the bass and let it speak to me. All the samples are the same groove.

Finally, the compressed MP3's DO NOT do the originals justice. So when you listen to them imagine them...well, well, on Steroids! :bassist: :D

[​IMG]
    Bass #1 - Sadowsky PJ5 (reverse P), Alder, Morado, Sadowsky Flats. Sadowsky preamp on. Set flat. VTC not used.

Sadowsky P Pickup Solo'd

Sadowsky J Pickup Solo'd

Sadowsky PJ Pickups - Blend Dead Center

[​IMG]
    Bass #2 - Sadowsky PJ5 (reverse P), Ash, Maple, Sadowsky Bright Nickel. Sadowsky preamp on. Set flat. VTC not used.
    Also, the P was switched to match the other PJ5 with the three sets of pole pieces under the B, E and A strings.

Sadowsky P Pickup Solo'd

Sadowsky J Pickup Solo'd

Sadowsky PJ Pickups - Blend Dead Center

Both basses were sent direct into a Digi 002 rack. No DI, No EQ, No Nothing.

The Alder/Morado bass is deeper. I am not sure how much of that is the Alder and how much is the flats.

Anyway, hope you enjoy them and I hope that it helps those asking about Sadowsky PJ5's and the differences in my two Sadowsky's.

2. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    That was great! I always wonder what those P & J sadowsky's would sound like. I definately like the first one better. When hit the be srting on the first it was like WHOA!

3. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Great Job, Mike!

Would've never known you were playing injured!

Those clips should be really helpful for anyone looking at Sadowsky PJ's.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Thanks man. Your Valenti PJ5 sounds great too!

5. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Whoa.. thanks.. it remind me how much i like the sound of a P pick-up... greaaat blend the P and the J make... I'll go for this with my next bass..

6. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does a reverse P pup do that a regular P doesn't? Thanks.

7. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Mike! Nice playing buddy, and you really nailed the tone--that's exactly what I hear every time I walk on stage.

And if I can have a go at the reverse pickup question, putting the B string pickup more towards the bridge can tighten up the tone of the B.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    BigMikeW, nice tone man! I see why you are a steady working bassist.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
  10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    This thread is so bad for my GAS :ninja:

11. Very nice, Mike!

This is very helpful for those looking at Sadowsky PJ's.

12. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I just listened thru my laptop speakers, and #2 sounded far better to me... the B on your IV chord was much tighter. Also, there was less ancillary fb noise--sounded like it played easier.
    I have bose roommates on my desktop, but I think a good mix must sound good on crappy speakers, so I'm inclined to think that the same applies to pure bass tone.
    Of course the MP3 compression makes it moot. Heck, IMO, digital itself makes it moot.

also- dig how the three pole piece (ok, 6) part of the p p/u is in different places on each. Any idea why?

Joe (PJ vintage Ibanez player)

13. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Oh you're killing me.. Ugh. Nice sounding basses, and nice playing. Post some slap clips :) What, no slapping in country music?? :D

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Roger said that when they made this one and others that they were not being consitant about which way to install them.

The correct way is the way the Wine PJ5 is (the other is that way now - just no new pic). It should be this way because a reverese P on a four string has the pole pieces under the E and A. Therefore, on a five, it should be the same.

Thanks guys. You are too kind.

KJones is also exactly right on why a reverse P.

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmm, I always wondered about that.
    I better dig out the 'ol screwdriver.

Thanks Mike

16. Man...I dig! This is really helping me to decide that the PJ5 couyld work for what I'm looking to do.

17. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Wow!!
    They sound almost as good as my Smith Mike?!?!:bag:

(inside joke between Mike and I)
    :D

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Mike, you sound great.
    And the tone is killin'
    man, don't do this to me. I can't afford a Sadowsky! :crying:

19. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Meh, I guess those would work... If you didn't have a Lull with you that is...

;)

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    no it ain't! you told me you thought Mike's basses sucked! :bag: