Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky PJ5 vs Roscoe L3005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I am looking for an active 5 string bass with a P bass sound to compliment my dlx55 Lakland. These are the 2 front-runners. Unfortunately neither are available where I live, so I need to rely on your expertise. Does anyone out there have experience with these 2 basses to pass along? (I've read Bass Player's 5 string shoot out, the Sadowsky didn't do to well there, and there were construction issues with the Roscoe, I understand most have been straightened out)

BTW, I don't slap or use a pick. My intent is to find something that will cover the 60's and 70's rock/blues stuff we do. Other basses will be considered. :)

2. The BassPlayer comparison didn't have the PJ5 in it, that was a regular Vintage 5.

I have a PJ5 and have been delighted with it for getting that Precision sound on a 5 string. I wrote a pretty lengthy review of it at the Bass Gear Review website:

http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/reviews/sadowsky-guitars-vintage-pj5-1-rvw.html

PS: I also have a Lakland Deluxe 55/94, but after getting the PJ5 I found I played it so little that I sent it back to Lakland and had it converted to a fretless.

I have no experience with the Roscoe.

3. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Michaeln, on behalf of us Lakland owners, ouch ;)

I do realize the shoot-out was with a vintage Sadowsky, nevertheless, when I totaled and weighted the testers votes at the end of the article, the Sadowsky was shut out; however, everything else I have heard and read is that Sadowskys are to die for, that's why I'm giving them strong consideration.

As a 2 Lakland owner, I find it hard to believe the Sadowsky neck could be that much better. I do prefer my rosewood board over the maple, but love them both.

Could be not many people get an opportunity to play Sadowskys, I know I haven't.

4. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I am very serious. I've spoken to both Roger Sadowsky and Keith Roscoe (I feel humbled), they are both down to earth and helpful. Once the buyer of my tobacco dlx 55 Lakland has received it (I'm going to make sure he wants to keep it, if not, I'll gladly take it back), and assures me he wants to keep it, I am going to pull the trigger on a replacement.

Regarding Roger's in-stock PJ5, I want one without pick guard and tone control cover. He has a swamp ash body available, I just need to send the $500 deposit. However, Mr. Roscoe has a number of extra, already painted bodies on hand as well. I can get into a Roscoe for around $800 less, so I really need a compelling reason for the difference.

I know my answer just took up space, just wanted to hit 100

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My vote goes to the Roscoe LG-3005. Thats a great bass. I find it gets a much better sound, IMO. Plus, there are MANY more options, and for cheaper. And the Roscoes dont look cheap! ;) The bodies and necks are much more comfortable to me. So my vote goes to the Roscoe.

Now if you were going to get a Sadowsky with dual soapbars... THEN it gets tricky! :)

6. Played a lot of Sadowsky PJ5s, have you? Yeah, you're right, they look cheap. ;-)

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You've picked two excellent basses to compare, Thumper. I had an LG-3005 and the reason I didn't keep it was...it was an excellent, P-like bass. I prefer Jazzes so I traded it for a 55-94. The Roscoe I had was flawless. Excellent string-to-string response, great B. Bartolinis with a preamp.

I've played several Sadowskys but from what I remember the PJ wasn't one of them. I doubt that it would be anything less than perfect coming from Roger's shop.

As far as the $800 difference, that will easily disappear if resale ever becomes an issue. I'm sure this doesn't make your decision any easier ;)

Brad

8. One of the things I like the most about the PJ5 is that it does BOTH the Jazz and Precision vibes, extremely well.

9. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Good points all. I have done a little research overnite and am leaning towards the Roscoe on the basis of all the options offered at a great price. A cherry body, purpleheart neck, gold hardware, ivory nut, and red LEDs would get me into stock Sadowsky territory with the added advantage of being perhaps the only one in existence. The resale value is somewhat moot as I plan on keeping the bass if I am satisfied with it, but is the resale on a Roscoe poor?

The ability of the PJ5 to cover the Jazz sound isn't really a bonus as that is one of the sounds my Lakland provides. However, the point of soap-bars on a Sadowsky is interesting. What sounds are available there? Apparently the Roscoe can get a great P sound with them, and Sadowsky has a great looking white transparent with soap-bars in stock. This is tougher than I thought.

10. Oh.

Well, if that kind of stuff is important to you, then the Roscoe is probably the way to go.

11. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Truthfully, the tone and feel is what is important, and that was originally the point of this thread, the cosmetics are just gravy. The input I've received is that either bass is a win/win situation. I do get the feeling both basses are not well known by the majority of bass players. I am going to Columbus OH on the 13 Nov, and Orlando FL on 26 Nov. Maybe I can find one or the other to play there?

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sadowskys are renowned as much sought-after basses and you will have no problems getting a very good price - especially in Europe! I've never seen any Roscoe basses for sale in the UK though, so can't comment.

13. I do a lot of trolling on bass classfieds and music store websites, and there are far more Roscoes on the used market than there are Sadowskys. I recently saw a used, near-mint Roscoe 5 in a music store here in Atlanta for $1100.. probably half of what it cost new. I've seen used Sadowkys at BassNW.com for $1800-$2200. So, Sadowskys have better re-sale value. If that's a consideration.

14. It may also indicate that most folks who buy a Sadowsky tend to want hang onto them. ;-)

15. There's a Roscoe 5 and a Roscoe 6 on http://www.bassgear.com right now. $1600 for the 5 and the guy claims it's in excellent shape and almost new, he just can't afford to keep it. The six has been decreasing in price over the last month and is currently at $1450.

16. Thumper, now there's a guy on bassgear.com who wants to trade a mint Roscoe 5 for a Lakland 5. Says he needs wider string spacing. He's here in Atlanta, and by his description of his Roscoe, it's the used one I saw and played at a store here. If I had the money I would have walked out with it. It played and sounded awesome. You have a Lakland 5 you want to get rid of, no?

17. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Dave, the answer is NO! :) I just heard from the new owner of my maple board Lakland, and he likes it. I still have a rosewood board dlx 55, and it is a keeper. I want to supplement it with a "P" 5 string. I will check out both the Roscoes at bassgear.

I know some of you are shaking your heads at my concern for cosmetics, etc. I won't apologize, but I will temper it by saying I am tired of "settling." I settled for the Pedulla when I wanted the Lakland. I settled for a maple board Lakland when I wanted a rosewood. It took me 30 years to get in a position to be able to get exactly what I want, so now I will. I know others out there understand even if they don't feel the same way.

18. Go, Thumper!