Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky players do you prefer the Single Coils or the Humcancelling Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 20, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Howdy Sadowsky Players

Do you guys prefer the Single coils or the HumCancelling pickups?, I have had HumCancelling in the NYC basses and Single coils in the Tokyo but they were diffrent then the NYC Single Coils. I would like to play the Single coils and Humcancelling to compare them sometime.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, it looks like Kevin will be buying a new Sadowsky soon. :p

-Mike

3. MAJOR METAL

I wish, i am putting one for sale but i would hope to get an older 24 fret for my next sadowsky.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm of the belief that Roger only has one single coil pickup, and this is/was used both in the Tokyos and the NYCs.

5. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i actually have a pair of single coils on the way for my uv70. i contacted roger last week telling him that my e string was louder than my other strings. i have both pups lowered on the bass side plush with the body but the e string is still a little too hot. roger is sending me single coils to try to fix the problem. i asked him how the single coils compare in tone and his exact words were " Nothing sounds better than single coils". ill have a complete report soon.......

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

i ordered my uv70 metro (ash/maple) with the sadowsky single coils installed. i really like the tone and it gives an aggressive midrange punch for fingerstyle and means you can get more growl with the bass and treble controls up, a little more oldschool and less clean/hifi i guess...

i also have the humcancelling pickups too, but i haven't tried them in the bass yet... so sorry can't comment, but i think i will soon, you've reignited my interest. i have been finding that my slap sound is fairly bright and snappy even with the treble off but my fingerstyle sound is much more mid aggressive and doesn't have as much treble sizzle as my old 75 fender jazz... it bothers me sometimes a little if i'm digging in fingerstyle (i have my action pretty low) because i want some noise and rattle, but i don't get it so much, even though i can get it alot unplugged... i'm guessing this is more or a set up issue and perhaps i could try different strings...

just interesting to compare to my fender with the same strings and a similar action...

still loving that sadowsky though :bassist:

7. MAJOR METAL

I am actually giving some thought to having the single coils put in my Soul Mate [​IMG][/IMG]

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have to say, of all the Sadowsky's I've played the ones with hum cancelling pickups haven't done it for me. I played one of Nino's with single coils, and it sounded amazing.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Tokyo Series Basses has single coil pickups and preamp that were made in Japan.

The Metro Series Basses have the same p/u (humcancelling J's or SoapBars) and preamps as found in the NYC basses.

10. MAJOR METAL

I allways run both j pick ups fully together so maybe the Single coils might be a good match for alittel more punch.

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There goes that theory... might be interesting to hear how the two single coil pups differ. Though would be academic, as the Tokyo single coil pups sound great.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

All mine are humcancelling. The mids are kinds scooped on them. The single coils ive heard are more open and full sounding. This isnt enough for me, though, to opt for them. I hate the hum and if I need more mids I can get that from my amp

Rob

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I went with an alder RV5 to try and make up for the scooped sound of the hum cancelling pups. I recently added a series switch to fatten things even more. I like my Sadowsky a lot but I keep thinking that singles coil may be what I am hearing in my head... I wonder what a set of Aeros would do in a Sadowsky?

Dave

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    On any J-bass, I prefer single coil pickups. I'm actually really wondering if I should have dropped in a set of single coils instead of selling my RV5 ... to me, single coils are not just different in tone, but also in the way they respond dynamically, and I gotta have it.

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Well, I've had a pair of HC's and have auditioned them in other basses. In every set I've ever heard, there was a clearly audible "chorus" effect in the high freq's. It drove me crazy after about 5 minutes. I also found them to be kind of scooped in the mids.

Thought about Nordstrand or Aero single coils?

16. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    So you sold the alder and stuck with ash? I have wondered about the ash / maple but I like the mids too much. Maybe I should go single coil.

Dave

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I sold the RV5 and stuck with my 4 string J bass (which is alder/rw/single coil), for now. When I get another sadowsky it'll be ash/rosewood with single coils (or a PJ :ninja: ).

18. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    For those who play single coils, is the hum about the same as an old jazz bass?

I may be putting SCs in my RV4 but I would not want a LOT of hum. I realize that everyone has their own definition of what "a lot" is, but I'm interested in your opinions.

19. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    My single coil Sadowsky is a touch noiser than my humbucking Sadowsky.All the Sadowskys are quieter than any of my Fenders(some have Sadowsky or UltraJazz pickups and I cant figure out why they are noisy)

Thanks

Robert VanLane

20. MAJOR METAL

Have you ever noticed any hiss or hum when you boost the trebble?