1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Portabag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by saxnbass, Nov 29, 2006.

1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    http://sadowsky.com/welcome/new/portabag.html

Haven't found much about it except that ^

What's up with the huge price tag? Worth it?
    I have a standard Fender gigbag, deluxe fender gigbag, and a Warwick RockBag. Also have a TKL hardcase and a Fender Molded hardcase coming with my MIA Jazz. Is it worth it for me to get a PortaBag? What are the pros and cons to the PortaBag (vs. Case and vs. GigBag).

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    :help:

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you want a hybrid of bag and case...a little more protection with a little less weight and size, I would say it's worth it. The Sad is cheaper than the InCase and EVERYTHING that has the Sadowsky name on it right down to the T shirts he sells is the absolute best of the best.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Anyone else?

5. RudeMood

RudeMood Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have thought about one of those bags too but the price tag has scared me away for now.

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    My brother is actually willing to get it for me for Christmas if I want it. That's why I'm asking about it. So the price tag is no big for me, it's if I really want it or if it's worth it that I'm worried about.

7. My parents let me order the Portabag for my Christmas present. I should be receiving it in about a week or so. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it =)

Right now, I'm using an Undercover Gigbag. While it's very protective, it feels a little bulky. I think the Sadowsky bag looks a little more streamlined.

8. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    My portabag just arrived in the mail last night, ordered the day before very quick shipping. I gotta say this thing is a tank. I'm a 21 year old college student and the most expensive thing i own is my modulus bass (LP pUPs!) so i wanted a really nice case for it to go from gig to gig and the portabag is even better than i expected. This bag is rock solid but still on the light side. The laptop pouch is just a huge added bonus for me considering i use a midi floorboard into a laptop to get all my effects. I'd highly recommend this to anyone looking to take their bass/guitar out of the hard shell.

9. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    A laptop bag? Awesome. 2 things:

1) I'd like to see some actual pics of the actual bag (not the ones from the website).

2) So tell me a little more about this midi floorboard into laptop for effects.

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I play a 35" scale sixer. Think it would fit in one of these?

11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    subscribe for pics if anyone posts.

12. Yes... actually, scale length does not increase the length of the instrument at all. Also, the Porta Bag has a removable 'extra padding' strip at the bottom for long basses.

Per the original post... this is the best bag I've ever had... kind of an 'improved InCase Slimbag' to me... and I love the original Slim also.

K

13. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    LOL I know Ken, I know. And the Skjold is actually a very compact design to boot. I'm trying to decide between one of these and a Lowend.

14. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'll have to save up and get one of these things. May have to return the Variax 705 I haven't gotten from MF yet, due to finances. That all depends on how much I like the Variax though.

15. :D

The Lowend bags are really nice. However, they are 'bags' versus the hybrid sort of thing like the Portabag and SlimCase. I really like the idea of having the hard sides and somewhat rigid protection of these hybrid's versus the traditional soft bags. When you combine that with the super heavy duty straps, the lumbar support back padding, and the 'gear pockets' being about double the size of a typical traditional 'bag', it was kind of a no brainer for me!

K

16. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't have the ability to take any pictures at the moment but i will try...

As for the midi floor board into laptop setup:

I'm very big into what Keller Williams is oding musicly so if you know his work thats what i'm trying to go for. Basicly i have a Bheringer FCB1010 that goes into a M-Audio external sound card which then goes into my laptop (Firewire). I use a program called Ableton live to loop tracks and load effects. 10 footswitches on the FCB1010 and 2 expression pedals 1 button to record a loop 1 button to stop recoridng and begin looping then other buttons ofr pause and so on and so forth. some buttons trigger different VST effects. I also can plug a MIC into the M-Audio firewire 410 to do vocal type stuff or even plug a guitar in etc.

Also my main vst of choice is called Loopy LLama you can google that and check it out awsome program and they programer himself is very helpfull if you have any issues. Did i mention its free? Yea...free....

Hope that gives you an idea

17. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Does anybody else have one of these and would like to share some info and pics?

Here is all the info from Sadowsky.com itself and the pics. I'd like some actual pics though.

Interior Features:

* Adjustable neck support (protects delicate angled headstocks)
    * Removable bottom pad to accommodate longer instruments
    * Protective leather pad to cover bridge area
    * Reinforced interior in headstock area

Exterior Features:

* Comfortable, strong, padded dual handles (side and back)
    * Single or double shoulder straps
    * Comfortable backpack pad
    * Dual height rings for straps
    * Hanger hook with storage pocket
    * Protective bumper on bottom of bag
    * Quality zippers
    * Large front pouch with two compartments ... large compartment features laptop/music pouch and separate mesh pouch.

Weight: Bass Bag: 7.5 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What other pictures do you need? :confused:

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    LOL:D

I have one on the way, I talked to Roger, Thursday. I've seen Ken's, it is the real deal. I own the Low End double and love it, it's light, protects nice and has pretty good pockets. But I just use one instrument on most gigs.

20. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Any pics I can get. Stuff in the pouches (a MacBook perhaps?), a bass inside the bag/case, etc.

I'd like a good comprehensive review too. or two or three.