Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky pre amp in 1976 p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Sep 25, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was contemplating whether or not too put a sadowsky pre amp into my p bass. I would just like coments on how it would change the tone of it. If I did get one put in, how extensive would the modifications be to the bass. Thanks!

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

You really don't need to do it. Just buy Roger's preamp and you avoid messing with your original bass. http://www.sadowsky.com

Rob

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I played an Ultra Vintage P bass a few months ago & it sounded great. Personally, I'm not too into P basses but that pre amp mabe the P sound ALIVE. I guess that's the best way I can describe it. Very crisp & clear.

When Roger installs a pre amp in a bass, he makes a small route in the back of the bass where the preamp & battery go. Their are a few different ways to have the control layout & I'm not 100% sure of how he would do that. Maybe a volume w/a pushpull (preamp on/off) & a concentric Bass/Trebble.

If you're not worried about doing irreversable mods to the bass, I'd have Roger install an on-board preamp. If you're into Keeping the bass as original as possible, I'd go for the pre-amp/DI pedal.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Get the outboard! Don't modify that classic bass!

5. I agree. Get the stompbox, and you also have an excellent DI for half the price Sadowsky charges for installing the preamp. AND you can usi it with your other basses, too.