Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Pre-amp UK Purchase Q Thing..!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Hey TB'ers

Does anyone know where you can buy a Sadowsky on-board pre-amp in the UK....

I know the bass Gallery has the stomp boxes but i havent asked if they can get hold on an onboard one....

Also do any of his circuits come with a Mid control or is it just bass+treb?..

Ordering from Roger..i dont know how much tax and duties the buggers in the UK Gov would slap on..

Wanting them to boost a set of Fender Vintage Pickups what i plan to put in my new bass that I am building..

Thank you peeps

2. Doh...

Wrong Section..!!!!! hehe

mods...do your thing..!!!!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I suggest emailing Roger, i am sure he could figure it out for you roger@sadowsky.com

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    if you have some skill with a solder, you can buy an old out-board preamp, the "belt" one, desold the pots and wire it inside your bass, it`s exactly the same preamp... sounds complicated, but its not, I`ve done few time and it works great! You can find the schematic on the Sadowsky's web site.

Major Metal is right anyway, just contact Roger or Nino.

Salud

Mo'

5. As a guide, add 20-22% to the total (including shipping) for HM Customs' cut. The courier might hit you with an admin fee too (£10-£20 IME). This is worst case scenario.

Make sure you have your cheque book handy when it arrives, 'cos they'll want the money before they give you it.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But why?

Outboard preamps make so much more sense - so, I have an outboard Sadowsky, which is very easy to use and I can use it with all my basses and if I buy new ones or replace them, I still have my Sadowsky preamp!! :)

If I wanted onboard preamps, I would have to buy more than one - more money!! - and if I traded that bass on, I would lose the pre-amp.

It makes so much more sense to use an outboard preamp.

Oh and I got mine second-hand for £60 from a local shop and it has given me no problems for about 4 - 5 years! :)

Why not just make a passive bass and then buy an outboard pre-amp? This would also make it easier to "trade up" if better ones become available...

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I agree with Bruce on this.......why buy onboard for one bass, when for the money you can get one that will serve all of your basses!

And wateroftyne has hit the nail pretty much on the head with his tax guesstimate.

I bought a bass from the US. Import duty was 3.5% This was applied to your puschase price, and your carriage (and any insurnce you had purchased!!). Then, to maximise the VAT they take, they take 17.5% VAT on your previous sub-total. All in all it works around 22% on tgop of the cost of buying and shipping to you!

8. Bassically my thinkin is...

I always like to have my bass direct to my amp without breakin the signal through a series of pedals.....my pedals go through the effects loop etc etc

Plus

My GB really doesnt need a pre-amp at all..its 18v Active and is the boobies and still the best set of electronics out there imho

My ATK... again great bass needs no alterations

My Custom Shuker is having EMG TC's with a 3 band Shuker Pre-amp in it...

You cant find a second hand one in the UK and a new one is nearly £300 ($530) from The Bass Gallery...

a onboard on would be a cheaper option as I am very happy with the sounds of my basses....

9. I might regret this but OK, I will bite...what is the joke? If all your basses are great why do you need an on board Sadowsky preamp for ANY of them, much less a particular one? I think what we are saying is with an out board you can use it on any of the basses you have now or may ever have in the future...If you don't need an outboard for the basses you have you DEFINITELY don't NEED and onboard...just my $.02.......BTW - I do have an outboard Sadowsky pre and I own a Sadowsky Vintage 4 bass (#4045). When I play any (rarely it seems) of my other basses I ALWAYS use the Sadowsky pre as the front end. See my comments on Roger's site for endorsement if you like in the Library section...I am the same tommixx that posted there........

Peace,

T

:bag:

10. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    You can buy them direct from the Sadowsky homepage.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have both the older beltclip model and the floor model. The floor model is used all the time. The belt clip sits in the original box not being used. If you want it, drop me a PM and make me on offer for cash or trade.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Well - they are advertising the DI footpedal at £225 and the preamp box alone was much cheaper - £140 ..?

And I found one second-hand in Brighton (UK) for £60!! :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

The onboard installation kit is available from Sadowsky's home page at $198 - add on shipping and about 22% as mentioned above.