1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky pre and tech 21 VT bass preamp at the same time

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Music_for_life, May 20, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Can I use both at the same time??
    I am planning to buy a vt pre, I have sadowsky pre
    I want to use the sadowsky like a preamp and add some overdrive with the vt preamp, can I do this without changing a lot the tone I get with the sadowsky pre. I like the sadowsky pre alone in some songs, and I need to add some overdrive for some parts with the vt more as an effect. Is this possible???

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't see why not. It should sound great with the judicious application of a little knob twisting.

3. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I had read that 4 preamps at the same time and the tone can get muddy, tech 21 guy told me that, cause if I use both pre at the same time and my bass is active and the pre of the Gallien krueger amp, there will be 4 preamps at the same time.
    But I also read here that I could use the vt bass only as an effect....and the sadowsky pre as a preamp, but I don`t know how.
    So I am confuse

4. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    How can I use the vt as an effect and sadowsky as the main preamp.
    I leave the vt bass settings flat???

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Just go easy on the bass and treble pots, use your ears and you'll be fine!

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'd put the bass into the VT, the VT into the Sadowsky, and the Sadowsky into your amp. The key is to not use excessive gain at each stage. Set the Sadowsky the way you want it to sound clean. Then set the VT flat and adjust the drive and character knob to taste. Then adjust the level control on the VT so the volume doesn't change from on to off. You may want to futz a little with the tone controls on the VT to get just the tone you want when you kick it in. After each adjustment of the tone controls, though, always go back to the level control and balance it so the volume is the same with it on and off.

7. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Bare in mind that "flat" on the VT doesn't mean everything on noon.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/vt-bass-frequency-response-plots-526710/

BTW, you've started three different threads recently and asked the same question. Are you not getting the answer that you're looking for?

8. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I didit the other way round: first the Sad then the VT.
    That's how I am using my RMI Basswitch now: the Basswitch takes care of basic tone shaping and the VT does a little "roughing up" of my slightly eq'ed sound.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That'll work. Not much difference.