Sadowsky Pre/DI vs Fodera M2000 Pre

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Classic5, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    I'm looking at purchasing an outboard preamp for my passive jazz bass and would appreciate any comments on the Sadowsky outboard pre and the Fodera M2000. Once again I'm not able to try them here before making the purchase.

I already have a DI so that's not really an issue, but I have heard that the Sadowsky works really well on a passive jazz bass.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In general, IME these units will have more of an effect on passive basses - if you use an active bass with them you have to be careful you don't end doing conflicting things i.e. boosting onboard mids but cutting them on the pedal. As frequency centers may not be the same on bass/pedal, you can end up overlapping each other and muddying the sound.

Plenty of people love the Sadowsky pedal, it didn't do anything much for me. I know I'm throwing in a third pedal here, but to my ears the Aguilar DB924 sounded better. They're supposedly very similar - Mr Aguilar did work on both units - but the bass boost sounded tighter and fatter on the Aguilar, and the treble more musical. But you may prefer the Sadowsky, who knows?

The Fodera is more flexible - again the bass and treble are boost only but it also has a mid boost/cut that can be brought in or out via the second switch. It's very handy for bringing in mids to cut through in a passage, or taking them out for some slap.

Sadowsky sell their DI with a return policy, you could also get the Aguilar and Fodera units at one of the online retailers to try out and only pay postage - has the Fodera and has the Aguilar
  3. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks David,

Your comments are much appreciated.
  4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No problem. I didn't notice you were in Australia originally, so me giving you those links to the US online stores isn't much help to you! Sorry about that.
  5. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Hey David,

Just because I'm in Australia doesn't mean I can't buy from your online stores in the US - just means I can't try before I commit to buying with these kind of items. That's where this site and comments by guys like yourself is really useful.

SMASH - when you mention the Sansamp, are you refering to their preamp/DI pedal? That's yet another option I guess. I've heard that the drive control on it is very good.

Damn too many options !!!!
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    SMASH is right on. I bought the MXR from him for the DI purpose and it works great, nmot only for that, but as a nice coloring preamp as well (plus it has a decent distortion unit built in). If you want the DI capability, go for that.

I also have the Fodera 2000 and it is my personal favorite as far as a pure outboard preamp is concerned. It does not possess an XLR out, however, which may or may not matter to you.

davdidwilson is correct in his contention that these work best for passives. I don't use mine with any of my actives. The only time I've ever seen fit to use one with an active is when the onboard pre's output is too quiet and there exists no trim pot. Otherwise, you'll "color" the sound too much, especially if you're running the onboard into an external and then into the preamp connected to your amplifier. Talk about overkill! :eek:

I can't speak for the Sadowsky as I've never tried one.
  7. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks Guys,

As I already have a DI Box, I'm leaning towards the Fodera M2000 now. I mainly need it for a passive Jazz Bass I have. Now to find a good place to buy it from. looks ok to me.

Cheers everyone and have a great Christmas from down under.:)
  8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY is a great place to buy from. Dan there is always very friendly, quick to answer emails and fast to ship. And when the site says it's in stock, it's in stock.
  9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I own and use both the Sadowsky and
    the Fodera. I've got an older Gk 800rb.
    Depending on the tone I need or want for
    a certain situation, I'll bypass the pre
    in the GK and use one of the others as a
    preamp with the GK poweramp. All three pre's
    sound very different. Different eq points
    in each, but they all sound good.