Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky pre in early 70s Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mgmadian, Mar 8, 2003.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm considering having a Sadowsky pre installed in my early-70s Fender Jazz. I've got an email into Roger and he's usually very good with replies, but thought I'd get some feedback from you folks, as well.

I'd like to retain the modified wiring that is currently in the bass, which involves a push-pull pot that allows me to do "all-bypass", has a rotary pickup selector instead of dual volumes, etc. A big concern I have is space... i.e. where would I put the preamp board + battery in the small Fender Jazz control cavity?

What have you guys done? I assume nobody else is in the same *exact* situation of having a couple of push-pull pots and a rotary pickup selector taking up space in their Jazz, but where'd you place the preamp board + battery? Did you rout the control cavity deeper? Rout a small cavity under the pickguard? Rout a small cavity close to the bridge and add a battery box?

Thanks!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It won't fit into the cavity. You would need to do some cutting into the bosy for this & for an input jack. The usual Sadowsky layout is Vol/Blend/Tre/Bass. the bass control has the on/off push-pull pot. I don't know if the bass you own is a player that you don't mind cutting up of if it's something you wanna leave as original as possible.

One option is the Sadowsky Pre-Amp/DI pedal. I have this & I use it with all of my passive basses.