Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sadowsky pre is on the way!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 8, 2002.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i am waiting for the Fed-Ex dude to show up to my office!! i can't wait! let's see if this little box is up to what every one says it it is!

thank God i work walking distance from a music store....:D

2. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The anticipation must be killing you! I know how it is to wait for the FedEx/UPS guy to show up with new toys. :)

I've been looking into outboard preamps and of course the Sadowsky is highly praised. Please let us know what you think of it after you've had time to play with it for awhile. Enjoy!

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, i just got it. now i need to play with it during my lunch hour.

dam this thing looks very sturdy. they even threw in a battery!!!

the final test is to actually use it. if i don't like this, i'll try the fodera (same price)

4. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey nojazzloco I take it you love the new preamp so much you haven't stopped playing it since you got it. That must be why you haven't given us an update yet :).

If you can tear yourself away from your bass for a minute, I'm interested in hearing your comments on your new Sadowsky pre. Thanks!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, man! how dare you take me away from my toy!

this little box is great - it doesn't really change the tone, just gives it a little push. i highly recommend this box, although i wouldn't mind trying the fodera or j-retro - i am really happy with my investment.

ask me some questions and i shall respond.:)

6. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey I just checked your profile and saw that you have a MIM Jazz. That's what I have! Anyway, the reason I've been thinking about getting a Sadowsky preamp is that I've heard it's great for passive basses. I've been looking for ways to tweak my sound. Not in a big effects sort of way. Just something to improve the tone in a subtle way. Would you say the Sadowsky does this and is it a good match with your MIM Jazz?

I also like the fact that it's an outboard unit, so I could use it with other basses.

7. You can get an onboard version for cheaper.

8. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles

Yeah I know, but the extra $40 for the outboard version would be worth it for me. Like I said, I want to be able to use it with more than one bass. And I want to keep my Jazz completely original.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think it works great with the MIM. my MIM doesn't really sound bad to begin with (OK, maybe it does!), but i wanted a little more of a modern sound and to boost signal.

i would get the outboard so you can use it with other basses. you know as well as i do that the Jazz basses don't have that much room inside and that you would have to get rid of some wood to fit a battery if you did get the onboard. i have heard that if you put in a J-Retro in a MIM Jazz, you still need to take out wood.

sadowsky has a 7 day return policy on it, so if you don't like it, you can return it, but you are out on S&H both ways. i could always send it back by tomorrow, but i'm going to keep this little jewel.

i don't even mind that it doesn't have a mid control, i never used the mid control on my EMG onboard pre on my ibanez.

10. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That sounds just like what I'm looking for...a more modern sound for when I want it. I did consider the J-Retro for awhile, then decided against it for the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for your input and enjoy your new pre (I'm sure you will :))

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the sad part is that even when i am practicing the fundamentals (scales, etc.), i'm using the dam thing!!!

so i guess i like it that much!

12. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nothing wrong with that. You always want to sound good! :D

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's if you know how to install it. If not, you have to pay someone to do it for you & it'll be more expensive & you only get to use it with one bass.

The stomp box is great cause you can use it with any bass you have. :)