1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky pre vs Carvin SB5000 pre ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ciubz, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    Hi TB, did a search here on the forum about these compared to each other, couldn't find nothing.

I'm doing a "poor man's Sadowsky" project. Bought a nice parts 5 string bass with one piece ash body and a bird-eye maple neck with block inlays, hipshot mechanics and dimrazio ultra-jazz 5 pickups.

Can't decide on the pre. I heard somwhere that the new Carvin SB pre is really close to a Sadowsky pre? Did anyone compare these two? Is any tech data available for the both?

Should i just buy the sadowsky pre and get THAT sound, or just cut the corner, get the Carvin pre and be "close enough"

Thank you for any advice given

2. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Save yourself a lot of time, money, soldering and aggravation and try an Audere preamp. Their virtues are well described on Talkbass and Dave Meadows the owner is accessible and always helpful on installations. I've used his preamps in at least a half dozen of my basses and love their sound. They have drop-in Jazz plates as well as a lot of options you can customize to get just the sound and controls you want. Check them out at www.audereaudio.com - they have custom pricing on their 3ZB modules which you can tailor to exactly what you want with number of controls, stacked, independent volumes or balance control and their famous Z-mode switching. Worth a look - good luck with the project and let us know how it works out.

3. camiloochoa

camiloochoa

Nov 5, 2008
    NYC
    Get the Sadowsky outboard pre, that way you can use it with other basses as well.

4. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    Thank you for your advice so far. I also had an audere in one of my JB, it was an Am Std 2003 sunburst as far as i remeber. Didn't really understand the need in that one, it kept the JB sound while adding the possibility for eq-ing. A friend of mine has the Sadowsky metro 5 string bass, well that's another story, it has that special signature mid scoop sound which i totally love, i just couldn't get close to that with the audere/fender combo. So i guess audere is just not for me and my tastes.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't really like the Audere. I have one, tried it in a couple of basses and it's sitting on a shelf right now. Anyway, I have a Carvin SB4000 VVT active. I don't own a Sadowsky but I've played a few. I can honestly say that I will put my Carvin up against the Sadowsky for tone and playability. Sure, the Sadowsky is a beautiful instrument and the craftsmanship and setup are wonderful. But, I play them next to my Carvin and I'm very happy with the sound I get out of that Carvin. I don't know about the pickups you are planning on using. The Carvin single coil pickups and the preamp with the tone (not the mids option) is a great pairing. Check out the Sekou Bunch vids on the Carvin site and that's what the bass sounds like.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Nothing wrong with the Carvin SB5000 preamp but I believe that it runs around 150 or so. The Sadowsky pre is 240 if you buy it prewired. I would go with the Sadowsky if that's what you want. It's not much more money.