1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Preamp/DI malfunctioning! HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Ok, so I have a Sadowsky preamp/DI of the newer variety with the mute switch. It has always worked fine, i've had it for a year and a half and always either used a 9v battery or 1spot ac adaptor to power it. it sat dormant for quite a few months only being used once or twice as a acoustic or mandolin DI for a show here and there. It worked fine for all these things and all the basses i've used with it have been passive.

Now I try to use it and out of the XLR out there is almost no volume and a bit of hissing. You have to crank the volume even with a new battery to get anything. This is with the preamp ON, with the preamp off there is nothing but buzz and when toggling from the preamp on/off and mute on/off it makes a loud horrible popping noise.

It seems to work fine through the 1/4" out though until you try to toggle the preamp on/off, then the hideous popping rears its ugly head. However, there is no popping when toggling with the mute switch on/off. I opened the chassis up and the first thing i noticed was the slight smell of burned electronics, not good!

I really dont know what do do about it. Its long past its 12 month warranty, so warranty service is out of the question. I'm not familiar with circuit boards either, and I couldnt see anything wrong with the unit just by looking at the insides of it. If anyone has any ideas, i'm all ears!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW there is a history of the on/off footswitches on those going bad. You probably just need a new switch.

3. Hmmmm......... definately something to consider! thanks for the heads up man, I assume the history is of both the preamp on/off and mute on/off switches?

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Call Roger Sadowsky.

5. Just shot him an email. Even though its not under warranty still and the person who bought the preamp for me as a gift has no receipt or anything, I hope he will be able to offer some insight.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sadowsky should have been the first place you called to address this issue.

7. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I am very interested to see what sadowsky's response is to this. Can you update us when you get more action.
    For the record I had one of these pedals and they add the most amazing tone to a bass.