Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Preamp DI stomp box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IvanMike, Sep 4, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    quick question that someone with my experience probably shouldnt be asking :p

Every time i play a bass with an sadowsky onboard preamp i'm knocked out. i've wanted to get a sadowsky or aggie outboard preamp for a while now but was put off because i wished it could be bypassed

duh!! - i just go to the sadowsky website yesterday and find out they make a stompbox version now that has a bypass switch - god knows for how long..... :rolleyes:

anyone have any experience with this? - online reviews i saw were a bit mixed

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've really liked the sadowsky preamp sound - in my opinion i dont think any other onboard bass preamp has a better voiced bass bost, but then, i've never heard the aguilar - i wish i could find a place to A/B them

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I use the preamp/DI now, having previously used the belt clip version before. I recently sold a bass that had EMG's in it that I used for certain songs. The bypass switch was handly as I had the Sadowsky set for my Jazz.

My favorite feature, aside from the tone enhancement and boosted signal is the mute switch. Very nice between sets or when swapping basses during a set.

I have been using Sadowsky preamps for 4 years. I had an SABBDI for a year and could never get a good sound out of it. I found the tube emulation too synthetic sounding. I was really dissappointed. I tried at so many gigs to get a sound out of it that I liked. I could never nail it so I swapped it for an EBS Octave pedal.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    like Smash, I'm not that big a fan of the Sadowsky preamp. Nothing against it, just didn't have as much effect as I was looking for. I too prefer the fat bass boost of the aguilar.

From my recollections, it sounds pretty much the same as the onboard (well, it should since AFAIK it's the same circuit). So, if the onboard does it for you then the outboard should also.

5. So if it's a beefed up bass boost I want then go with the Aguilar over the sadowsky? I just got a Geddy Lee jazz bass and would love to have a bit more bottom in some situations. I'm in love with the neck.... a bit more bass and not likely to pick up another instrument again.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    That's exactly what the Aguilar will give you. I had one in a Stingray, and it was wonderful. The treble was really nice, too, though I rarely touched it.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That's exactly what the Sadowsky will give you as well. Both do the same thing. The Sadowsky has the same tone controls, plus the mute, DI, on/off, XLR, 9 volt adaptor jack that the Aguilar doesn't have.

If you are knocked out by it, buy one.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    While the Sad has the extra features, the two pedals DO sound different.

Other people including myself have tried both: some prefer the Aguilar, some prefer the Sad - whatever floats your boat. But they do have a different sound.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    What is the tonal difference? Also, is the Aguilar available as a pedal?

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, the Aguilar is available as a pedal. There are lots of threads available via search. However, SMASH discussed the difference between the two of them at the top of this very thread!

11. My main criteria is which one will give my jazz bass a more beefed-up bass tone---that's it! Sounds like the Sadowsky guys say it will match the Aguilar and the Aguilar guys think the Ag is the winner in that category. I can say that thew basses I've owned that were equipped with the onboard Aguilar had as much bass as you could possibly have wanted and that I wasn't previously impressed when I briefly had a Sadowsky stompbox that I used with a p bass---however, I didn't have a j bass then and I think it probably offers more tonally to a j, or does it?

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I own the Sadowsky pedal, and believe me, it doesn't lack for low end . . . I personally think the Sad and the Aguilar are more alike than they are different.

13. I just snagged an Aguilar 924 off of Ebay for $105.....it's brand new from Bass Atlanta....we'll see how it works out! :D

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'm confused. Is there and Aguilar pedal or is it just an outboard preamp like the older Sad?

Also..the model you just scored from Bass Atlanta is 18 volt right?

15. bmc---it's an outboard preamp, 18 volt, doesn't have the other features that the Sadowsky has, but i can live without those, especially at this price... ;)

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i got to try the aggie today vs a t-rex purist (same deal, with the addition of a belt clip, a bypass button that "pops", and 40 bucks more
    to tell the truth i think the lows on the purist sound a little better, very tight and defined, but room shaking

17. "t-rex purist".....what's that? Did you compare the Saowsky to the Aguilar as well?

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the t-rex purist is an outboard preamp with a layout like the sadowsky and aggie (volume/bass boost/treble boost)
    nope, i didnt get to try out the sadowsky